Topic: Fuel Pump Push Rod - 1946 Business Coupe

ab4875    -- 05-14-2014 @ 1:01 AM
  I was replacing the fuel pump & push rod today and found an 8.95" long push rod installed. It is the push rod without the flare in the photo. The other push rod in the photo is the new one I purchased as a replacement. It is 7.87" long.

The intake manifold is alloy and has the part number C11A-6520-C2 in the casting.

I took a few photos down the manifold to check the flare has not fallen off. Being new to flatheads I am not sure what it should look like down there but I think the photo shows the engine block & brass bushing.

The car is Canadian built, New Zealand delivered.

Is this normal to have the 8.95" push rod with an alloy intake manifold? The suppliers I checked with show a 7.87" push rod for the alloy manifold.

As the push rod is longer than standard (8.95 instead of 8.872) I am guessing it is something someone made out of some steel they had lying around.

Does the photo down the hole look ok?

I plan to buy an 8.872" push rod from one of the suppliers but am tempted to run with the existing pushrod for the time being.

More photos to come.

ab4875    -- 05-14-2014 @ 1:02 AM
  Another photo

ab4875    -- 05-14-2014 @ 1:02 AM
  One more photo

ab4875    -- 05-14-2014 @ 1:03 AM
  Last photo

supereal    -- 05-14-2014 @ 9:36 AM
  The casting number for the intake manifold appears to be a Canadian model or an aftermarket piece. The parts book shows 1GA-9426 as the correct part for 34-48, and cast iron for the manifold. The length of the push rod should be 8.87". The aluminum intake was used 35-39. Apparently someone swapped intake manifolds at sometime, and made a "home brew" push rod. The 7.87" rod is for 35-39 aluminum intakes. There are a couple of critical things about the push rod. The bottom end must be a fit for the bushing, or oil pressure will be affected. The "unbrella" on the rod is meant to deflect any oil that escapes around the bushing, as the rod goes directly into the oil gallery. Otherwise it is likely that oil will be thrown out of the breather/filler cap. It is possible that the non stock rod was made to increase the fuel pump stroke. Years ago, shims called "pills" were sold for that purpose to fit the pump cup. I'd install the new pump with a correct push rod (7.87" for alloy intake) and see if it works. Otherwise, finding a cast iron intake may be necessary.

37 Coupe    -- 05-14-2014 @ 10:54 AM
  The description I read from my Ford parts book shows 1GA9426 as manifold for a 6 cylinder engine.Usually an aluminum manifold called for a 7 7/8" long push rod and the correct cast iron one for the 59AB should be Ford part # 48-9400-A and it is 8 7/8" long. The shorter rod is id as # 48-9400-B for aluminum manifolds.

37 Coupe    -- 05-14-2014 @ 11:49 AM
  I would assume you are in New Zealand and would not want to pay shipping on a cast iron correct 59AB manifold but I have two very nice ones. One even has the unusual or mayby later added additional vacuum port that is or was for Columbia vacuum or other? This eliminates a carb spacer.

David J    -- 05-14-2014 @ 3:41 PM
  Not exactly what was asked but it was mentioned . The old aluminum intake takes a short & cast intakes take a long is not totally accurate . Try using a short with a 34 aluminum intake and you will see it is 1" short . Real early 35 intakes look like 34's except for the round hole for the vent pipe .

supereal    -- 05-14-2014 @ 3:41 PM
  You are absolutely right, 37' and I stand corrected. Must be my trifocal glasses. Any number with a G is a six cylinder part. That said, the correct length for the 40-48 V8 is 8.87", 48-9400A. In '49, the EAB engine, 49-53, used a10 1/6" rod.

ab4875    -- 05-14-2014 @ 7:59 PM
  Thank you everyone for your help, it is appreciated.

A local guy has given me a reconditioned push rod of the correct length which I will try out in the next day or so. I'll order a new one from the US suppliers but that will take a couple of weeks to get here.

37coupe, thank you for the offer on the manifold. The car is in Sydney and yes, shipping would cost a lot.

Looks like the Coupe won't be ready for the NSW Early V8 Club Concourse Day this weekend at Ettamogah Pub so I'll take my Model T instead.

If you haven't seen it before the pub is designed after a pub in a comic strip from the 1950s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ettamogah_Pub

40 Coupe    -- 05-16-2014 @ 4:13 AM
  In looking down the oil filler tube, to the fuel pump rod bushing, in the block, I do not see baffles. With a US Mfg. car the tube has baffles and it has to be removed to insert the pump rod (with skirt) first then the tube. I am not sure if this is correct for a Canadian built engine, you may want to look into this. The baffles help keep oil vapor in the block. It is possible to remove the baffles from the tube or the tube you have never had the baffles?? The Canadian built cars usually have a "C" prefix in the part number and also the identification on the engine heads. The USA green parts book does not list the -C suffix aluminum intake manifold, just the -A and -B suffix, which are both cast iron. It appears the C11A-6520-C aluminum intake manifold is unique to Canadian built vehicles.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7321