Topic: Rear Hub Grease

V8JR    -- 05-11-2014 @ 10:18 PM
  What is the best type of grease for the rear hub bearing? Wheel bearing grease like that used on the front wheel bearings?

JM    -- 05-12-2014 @ 4:05 AM
  There is a Sta-Lube grease with fibre fill that is very good. I can't recall the exact product number. The auto parts stores should carry this. I hand pack that into the bearings. Do not use multi purpose chassis lube. I don't even use those Zerk fittings on the wheel ends of rear axle housings.

John

This message was edited by JM on 5-12-14 @ 4:06 AM

40 Coupe    -- 05-12-2014 @ 4:46 AM
  Sta-Lube NAPA #SL3131 as mentioned above.
Re: Seal The Ford axle housing seal is the same seal used for the front of the torque tube just to the rear of the front bearing.

32 to 48 Ford Rear inner axle housing B-4245: National 450044 (this seal may be used for the torque tube below)

32 to 48 Ford Torque tube seal (front) B-4245: National 450044, LYO 28004 (see previous listing above) as measured: 1.087 shaft , 1.834 OD x 0.433 W from V8 Times( CR 10926 1.094 Shaft x 1.828 Housing Dia. X 0.438 W)
National 450044: 1.093 shaft, 1.828 bore, 1.834 OD, 0.437 W
CR 11170 or Victor 49029

supereal    -- 05-12-2014 @ 3:30 PM
  The Hyatt type roller bearings require the Sta-Lube Heavy Duty Drum Brake Grease. The fibers allow the grease to be pulled thru the rollers to keep them covered. Non fiber grease will cause the spalling seen on the bottom side of the axle housing. Those grease fittings on the backplate are a holdover from the Model T days, and should not be used. Carefully check all the rollers in the bearings for pitting and/or wear. Genuine Ford bearings usually last for decades if repacked properly. A few years back, there were repro bearings sold with inadequate hardening. If your housing ends are in bad shape, it is likely you have the soft bearings. The housing ends can be sleeved, if bad, but it requires a disassembly of the rear end so a machine shop can fit the sleeves. Again, be sure to inquire about the hardening of the sleeves. Soft ones were sold that didn't last but a couple of weeks. A good machine shop will check each housing to be sure it is not bent. It was common for the rear of the vehicle to be jacked up by placing a jack under the center section, which can cause the bending.

40cpe    -- 05-12-2014 @ 6:58 PM
  Are you saying not to jack the rear with the jack under the banjo?

supereal    -- 05-13-2014 @ 1:12 PM
  That's right. I know it has been typical to put a floor jack under the banjo, but the housing will bend. We check them in our machine shop before installing sleeves, and the amount of warp can be large.

This message was edited by supereal on 5-13-14 @ 1:13 PM

avrotom    -- 05-13-2014 @ 9:08 PM
  Would'nt you know it, I tryed for the Sta Lube 3131 here in Canada and NAPA cannot get it. Tryed ESSO/Mobile, they do not have the same mixture, offered me EP 2 Chassis grease. Has anyone else in Canada found the rite stuff and where. And yes I guess I can ship it in but that just seems strange.

supereal    -- 05-14-2014 @ 4:55 AM
  You can call the Sta-Lube customer service at 1/800-272-8963 to locate a source. We also have used Plews 30-153. It is made in Minnesota, but I don't have contact information. Usually NAPA has it here, if you have them up there. Perhaps they can order it for you.

This message was edited by supereal on 5-14-14 @ 4:58 AM

MICHV8    -- 05-14-2014 @ 6:37 AM
  Supereal...
If raising the rear under the banjo can cause the housing to bend, wouldn't that also contribute to spalling regardless of the bearing hardness?

supereal    -- 05-14-2014 @ 3:29 PM
  It may, but the roller bearings are a fairly loose fit on the housing. The main effect is on the differential bearings on each side of the unit. The spalling is mostly due to failure to keep the bearings packed with fiber grease. A couple of years ago the suggestion was made to use the blue synthetic grease instead. It was a disaster, as the grease became loaded with steel particles in a very short time. If the wear pattern on the bottom of the housing ends is uneven, it is likely the housing is bent. I know repacking the bearings is a chore, but should be done every 1000 miles, or yearly, to prolong the surface of the housing.

supereal    -- 05-14-2014 @ 3:35 PM
  It may, but the roller bearings are a fairly loose fit on the housing. The main effect is on the differential bearings on each side of the unit. The spalling is mostly due to failure to keep the bearings packed with fiber grease. A couple of years ago the suggestion was made to use the blue synthetic grease instead. It was a disaster, as the grease became loaded with steel particles in a very short time. If the wear pattern on the bottom of the housing ends is uneven, it is likely the housing is bent. I know repacking the bearings is a chore, but should be done every 1000 miles, or yearly, to prolong the surface of the housing.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7312