Topic: Rear Axel Seals

V8JR    -- 05-10-2014 @ 5:47 PM
  I know there are Rear Axel seals that go in the Brake Drum but are there also seals that go in the outboard ends of the axel housing that seal around the axel shafts? If there are how are they removed and installed? Are there special tools needed? Thanks for any info you can provide - V8JR

supereal    -- 05-10-2014 @ 7:03 PM
  The quick answer is: yes there are seals in the wheel ends of the axle housing. That said, these are seldom replaced because the whole housing must be disassembled, and the seals removed and replaced with a special tool. If you have a problem with gear oil leaking into the rear hubs, it is likely the rear end has been overfilled. Old Fords tend to conduct oil from the transmission down the torque tube. That is why usually you find the rear end full to overflowing. Keep the oil level in the rear end just below the filler hole. Be aware that the hub seals should have a red coating that helps installation and provides additional sealing. We received uncoated seals, and most collapsed before they could be seated past the lock ring groove.

JM    -- 05-10-2014 @ 9:26 PM
  If you are planning to take the rear completely apart anyway, by all means, replace the seals that mount inside the ends of the axle housings and also replace the same part number seal that mounts in the front of the torque tube. Those three seals had failed on most all of the rears I have dismantled. I made a stepped/flanged pusher plug that threads onto the end of 1/2" all thread rod for removing and replacing those seals. Someone may be making a commercially available tool needed for replacing these seals.
If you are not planning to take the rear apart, there is a special aftermarket seal made that mounts in the outside ends of the axle housing and seals against the axle shaft. I recently found some of these seals but have not yet tried them to see how well they work.

John

This message was edited by JM on 5-10-14 @ 9:44 PM

JM    -- 05-11-2014 @ 5:47 AM
  Hopefully a picture of the seal mentioned in my previous post will show up here....

John

JM    -- 05-11-2014 @ 5:50 AM
  Another shot....

John

JM    -- 05-11-2014 @ 5:52 AM
  Third and last picture....

John

V8JR    -- 05-11-2014 @ 10:14 PM
  Thanks for the photos John - can you tell me a source for these axle seals - Thanks, V8JR

JM    -- 05-12-2014 @ 4:15 AM
  No, unfortunately I do not have the actual source for those seals that can be mounted in the ends of the axle housing without the need to disassemble the rear. Maybe someone else here or on Fordbarn would know. I picked mine up in a box of Ford parts that I purchased.

John

kubes40    -- 05-12-2014 @ 6:08 AM
  V8JR, That seal you had photographed was an after-market seal meant to be installed outboard of the axle housing. Kind of a "quick fix" thing that well, really did not help much.
The seals that obviously* need to be replaced are, as others have mentioned, inside the axle housing. the "tool" to seat them easily is readily available from Mac's , C&G, as well as others. About $8 and well worth it.
I say "obviously" as the fact that there were those "quick fix" seals in there leads me to believe someone, a long time past, attempted to fix the leak(s).

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7310