Topic: vents in accerator pump housing

42 ford    -- 05-10-2014 @ 5:06 PM
  I am wondering why some carbs have vents and some do not, I see everything from a small pin hole to a elongated hole to a 1/4 inch hole.

ford38v8    -- 05-10-2014 @ 6:14 PM
  I assume you're asking about the 94 carburetors, and yes, they all do have bowl vents. Early in the history of the 94, there were problems associated with the location of the vent. Several locations were tried and abandoned, finally settling on an interior vent from the bowl directly into the air horn. You'll recognize this final iteration by the ΒΌ" angled tube visible inside the air horn.

there were two major considerations for the changes: One, the under hood air turbulence from the fan compromised the purpose of the vent, and two, heat soak after shut down caused fuel boil over to the exterior of the engine, considered a fire hazard.

Alan

ken ct.    -- 05-10-2014 @ 6:36 PM
  All 94's from late 38 to 42 I think had NO breather tube in the air horn, I would have to check my stock of 21-29's which is a 42 only carb. After that the tubes were used from 43 up to 53.The fan placement had a lot to do with it. OMO. ken ct.

ford38v8    -- 05-10-2014 @ 7:57 PM
  Ken, we'll hear from the naysayers unless we point out that as all airhorns are comaptible with all bases, many were interchanged when sent for rebuild, thereby fostering some confusion as to which vent was present for which year.

As the color and texture of carburetors can differ significantly, comparison of top to base can many times prove different origins.

Alan

ken ct.    -- 05-10-2014 @ 11:27 PM
  Yea Alan,tops have been changed around for many yrs. I try to correct that situation when I run into it and its pretty often and im running out of good proper tops to use.Mostly its bad inlet threads which can be sometimes addressed with a special fitting.Some nit-pickers wont buy a carb with the extra fitting in them but it fixes the problem if its the correct cover!! ken ct.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7309