Topic: tranny grinding

39topless    -- 05-08-2014 @ 10:04 AM
  My stock, top loader '39 tranny has the "grinds". I can not down shift into first, at a complete stop without grinding. Is the cause the tranny, the clutch or the nimrod operator?
Thanks

CharlieStephens    -- 05-08-2014 @ 12:57 PM
  It is a problem with the operator expecting too much. The tranny does not have syncros going back into first. This feature came out in Fords in the sixties. If you practice you can double clutch to get into first with coming to a complete stop.

Charlie Stephens

Stroker    -- 05-08-2014 @ 2:17 PM
  You could have some clutch plate drag that prevents the input from stopping immediately when you depress the clutch. Try placing it in second, while completely stopped and then quickly moving it to low. If it still grinds, you need a clutch adjustment.

Charlie: I grew up shifting non-syncro trucks. I'll admit that you can double-clutch your way into low on an early Ford 3-speed transmission, I even mastered shifting on the go with a Ford 8N. Methinks however, that double clutching in order to select low while standing is not normal.

This message was edited by Stroker on 5-8-14 @ 2:24 PM

supereal    -- 05-08-2014 @ 2:48 PM
  I agree with Dan regarding the art of double clutching, so0mething many of us learned many years ago. If you have less than 1-1 1/2 inches of free play with the clutch pedal before the release bearing contacts the pressure plate, it could make shifting difficult. Another trick with the "crash boxes" is drain them and refill with 140 weight gear oil. This encourages the cluster gear to slow down before shifting.

39topless    -- 05-15-2014 @ 10:27 AM
  Been practicing my dbl clutching and it does work, most of the time. Will replace the gear oil next time. Thanks

39topless    -- 05-20-2014 @ 3:20 PM
  Thought I should update in case anyone else is having this same problem. After driving for a few days, I have found that "Stroker's" advice about shifting into second and then quickly down into first really works well.
Thank you

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7306