Topic: cigar Lighter connection

murphy1936    -- 05-07-2014 @ 8:50 PM
  Need to connect cigar lighter which I found was disconnected on car for some reason . Need to use for inverter connection 6- to 12volts. Where should I take the power from? Diagram shows it was connected to a circuit breaker?? Where do I find this circuit breaker on a 41super DELUXE ? Engine area I assume? Thanks appreciate. Going to use it with my Garmin to help this old guy get to unknown places.

Super Deluxe 41

ford38v8    -- 05-07-2014 @ 10:01 PM
  Behind the dashboard on the firewall above the steering column.

Alan

40 Coupe    -- 05-08-2014 @ 3:39 AM
  The cigar lighter does get connected at the overload relay. One side of the relay is power in and the other side is the car light circuit. Do not connect it to the light circuit side use the power in side. Fords cigar lighter well is very fragile. You may want to use another modern power source well (much more rugged design) as most newer cars have. Use a small fuse in line with the power well.

trjford8    -- 05-08-2014 @ 7:56 AM
  Get a new lighter socket as the old one may not be up to the job. As 40coupe says the old ones are fragile. A new socket will fit into the same hole as the old one. Pull the power from a direct constant hot source and put a fuse in the line.

JM    -- 05-08-2014 @ 5:48 PM
  You also need to consider the electrical polarity when trying to make this work. If your cars system is 6V positive ground and your inverter/converter is designed for a negative ground input using a male cigar lighter socket plug, you will have a problem.
I made up a separately connected female cigar lighter rececptical that is wired independently for negative ground and not mounted in the dash. (dash is positive ground) I have a stock 6V positive ground system in my '35 Fordor sedan. I use this special hookup to charge my cell phone and power/charge my GPS on tours/trips. This hookup could also power a converter/inverter that is designed for negative ground and uses a male cigar lighter socket plug for the input.

John

This message was edited by JM on 5-8-14 @ 6:16 PM

JM    -- 05-08-2014 @ 5:51 PM
  Deleted duplicate message

This message was edited by JM on 5-8-14 @ 6:03 PM

murphy1936    -- 05-29-2014 @ 8:28 PM
  Inverter will b made for positive ground so no worry in that area . Question is where shoul I pick up a hot connection. Pi can guess but someone with this knowledge knows better than I . Maybe from battery ?? John

Super Deluxe 41

TomO    -- 05-30-2014 @ 7:44 AM
  Murphy,

There is a heavy yellow wire that comes from the starter solenoid to the circuit breaker. Connect your cigarette lighter to the same post on the circuit breaker as this wire. The circuit breaker is on the inside of the dash (firwall) on the driver's side of the car.

If you are using the PGPI-HC converter, you will only be able to draw about 2 amps with a 4 amp output. The original lighter element uses much more than that. Your GPS should be happy with the amount of current available.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7303