Topic: Need a Stromberg Carb

HOTROD_WILLIE    -- 05-07-2014 @ 9:23 AM
  I need to find someone to rebuild a Stromberg carb. This is for a show car. The last one I had rebuilt the guy painted w/ Rust-o.

dansford    -- 05-07-2014 @ 10:46 AM
  The very best

Max Musgrove

1173 South 1100 East
Salt Lake City
UT 84105-1815

telephone: 801 583 6169
cellphone: 801 301 6114

madmax1946@comcast.net
www.97-express.com

42guy    -- 05-07-2014 @ 3:10 PM
  He did three for me at various times. Great work and they look beautiful.

HOTROD_WILLIE    -- 05-08-2014 @ 5:04 AM
  Thank for the information. I have hear a lot of great things about Max. I will give him a call.

I will have to find another Stromberg 97 carb. The guy that did it. Sandblast the carb. and strip out threads and used oversize bolts. The carb is junk. I gave the guy a call. He told me I was Hotrod and no time for me.

supereal    -- 05-08-2014 @ 2:41 PM
  Before you spend time and money on rebuilding an old 97 carb. be aware that it is being reproduced with a new air horn casting that eliminates one of the common problems with the original. Summit Racing shows the carb as Item SBC-9510A, $449.95. With a cable choke, SBC-9510AC. The SBC-9510LZ-uses the push choke lever. You can find it at SUMMITRACING.COM. While the Stromberg 97 reached "legendary" status in the 30's, because it would fit multiple carb manifolds, it was troublesome, and was superceded by the 94 type.

37 Coupe    -- 05-10-2014 @ 5:58 AM
  I wouldn't even mess with finding another Stromberg 97 when you can get a brand new one from Max (Uncle Max) . I am happily using one from Max and although my 37 is not an Early V8 correct restoration I wonder what the judges perception is of this carburetor. Aside from stainless steel screws I would say it would be hard to tell the difference. I actually think it may be the best reproduction of any part ever made for our early Fords,both in appearance and performance. I have noticed at National meets for instance,hoods up on 1939 Fords and Bob Drake name on bottom of hood handles and told this is a totally acceptable part . I have heard of no points being taken away or questions asked about a new Brookville body on a 1932 Ford roadster restoration,so I cannot imagine this excellent part would be targeted. This carburetor is from England and besides support from Max I have had great correspondence and questions and issues answered from British owner of the Stromberg 97 name. Just make sure you stay away from Speedways "Super 97" China repro.

JM    -- 05-10-2014 @ 7:43 AM
  Coupe, I read or heard somewhere that it is now acceptable to the EFV-8 C/A to use a '32 Brookville body as well as the new '40 coupe body on a restoration that is going for the Dearborn Award. Wondering if anyone else has heard this?

John

JM    -- 05-10-2014 @ 8:10 AM

This message was edited by JM on 5-10-14 @ 8:11 AM

Lou46    -- 05-10-2014 @ 4:54 PM
  JM and 37 Coupe, as JM knows at the owners and judges meeting at the National Meets, judges are asked to be fair and not to "kill" individual car with "nit picking" If a 32 or 40 Coupe is "presented" in factory original type condition, fit and trim; how could a judging crew possibly know if the body was a "Brookville" or a "Carpenter" without disassembly? If you restore a 1935 or a 1937 and remove some rot and fabricate a repair panel is that original? If there is a glaring discrepancy in the new style body then it should or will not be acceptable and penalized appropriately, otherwise who would know? The same goes for the Stromberg, if it is correct then so what? They are becoming harder to find hence the remanufacture, perhaps a few lost points isn't such a bad loss. This is only my humble opinion.....LouB.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7300