Topic: V8 60 ALUMINUM HEADS

t35    -- 02-01-2010 @ 1:48 PM
  i recently aquired a pair of v8 60 aluminum heads.
i notuced the first cylinder has a larger spark plug hole on one of the heads.
does anyone know why this would be?
i noticed there was one on craigslist that had the same thing.

jfarrell    -- 02-02-2010 @ 8:11 AM
  I have an aluminum head from a V12 Lincoln that also has one larger spark plug hole. I'm told the larger hole was because the original hole striped out and the larger hole was to accomodate a larger plug. Someone also told me helicoils were sometimes used as a fix, but I don't know if that works or not. Jim Farrell

supereal    -- 02-02-2010 @ 10:00 AM
  Helicoils can fix stripped sparkplug holes if the shop doing the work knows how. The original threads are easy to cross thread or strip, and sometimes they were just drilled out and rethreaded. Unfortunately, this results is having at least one plug that is incorrect on the "heat" scale. If the tang of the coil isn't removed correctly, it can cause preignition.

TomO    -- 02-03-2010 @ 7:25 AM
  Another fix for the stripped out spark plug holes was to drill the hole oversize and fit a bushing. These bushings were readily available in the 40's at Western Tire, Sears and Wards as well as most auto parts stores.

Tom

supereal    -- 02-03-2010 @ 11:41 AM
  That does go back a long way, Tom. Now that aluminum heads are used on most cars and trucks, I wouldn't be surprised to see those appear again. Th plug change interval specifed for many vehicles is now 100K miles. The problem, particularly with Fords, is that the plugs tend to build up a carbon deposit on the threads that protrude into the combustion chamber. The plugs must be very carefully removed by turning them out a bit, and going back several times until the carbon is worked off. Otherwise, the plug threads will be damaged or destroyed. We see many of these in our machine shop, even from dealers, but particularly from the franchised shops. The cost of new plugs is gawdawful, too, and many times they are different in the same engine. What used to be a simple change is now a job for the pros.

TomO    -- 02-06-2010 @ 9:37 AM
  Super, I used to spend my free time after grade school at the Western Tire store, begging for a job. No one wanted to hire a 11 or 12 year old kid in an auto parts store. I pretty well had the inventory memorized before I went to High school.

Tom

supereal    -- 02-06-2010 @ 11:46 AM
  Me too, Tom. I spend most idle hours hanging around at a Mobil station up the street. I suspect that the loss of these places hastened the lack of interest in how cars actually run, since vehicles have become "transportation appliances". Those of us who operate independent repair businesses can't find young people to hire who have any interest or basis in the craft.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=727