Topic: 48 steering wheel paint

flathead48    -- 04-28-2014 @ 7:21 AM
  Sprayed a sample of the color made from the formula in the clubs 41-48 book, (corrected formula) looking at the pictures in the book the wheels look lighter, more ivory. Did I get the wrong paint or is the steering wheels in the 47-48 a light grey? Thanks

supereal    -- 04-28-2014 @ 6:20 PM
  The correct steering wheel color for 47-48 is a kind of sickly gray-green shade. I found a NOS wheel for my '47 several years ago, still in the original box. It is supposed to match the knobs on the dash and inside doors. The car had a white wheel when I bought it, and my wife preferred it to the new one. If it didn't have lots of hairline cracks, I probably would have kept it, as I don't show the car. It is difficult to impossible to match color photos or paint chips, and paint matching and application is a job for a pro because only the two part epoxy coating will resist wear and cracking, in most cases.

Drbrown    -- 04-28-2014 @ 6:34 PM
  Throwing this out there .... my apparently original "47 wheel is light gray.

fla48    -- 04-28-2014 @ 7:04 PM
  My 48 matches to color of the dash knobs.

flathead48    -- 04-29-2014 @ 5:05 AM
  Thanks guys, I had the paint mixed using the formula from the V8 club. It is a light grey, doesn't match the grey tan like the knobs. They must feel this is the right shade for 47-48 steering wheels. Thanks again

TomO    -- 04-29-2014 @ 7:54 AM
  Do you have the original knobs? They will have many years of use and will have changed color from new. The reproduction knobs from Dennis Carpenter might be a better match for color, but will not be original.

Tom

flathead48    -- 04-29-2014 @ 8:30 AM
  Tom9, this does not even get close to the original or the reproductions, I could post picture if I new how. This is the Ford V 8 clubs formula and the book calls it light grey which it is, ugly color next to the other colors. Thanks to all for the input

TomO    -- 04-30-2014 @ 7:37 AM
  It is easy to post a photo as long as it is not too big. See my post in the Mercury Forum on Books.

My paint supplier will modify a custom mixed formula to match something close at no additional charge. Decide which color that you want and ask them to modify the formula to match.

Remember it is your car and you will be driving it and looking at the steering wheel. Paint it the color that you want and take the 1 point deduction on the Concourse.

After you win a Dearborn, you only have to be judged 2 more times before it becomes an Emeritus car and is not point judged until it deteriorates or is modified enough to not qualify as an Emeritus car.
Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 4-30-14 @ 7:44 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7268