Topic: Drive Shaft Center Bearing

avrotom    -- 04-27-2014 @ 3:42 PM
  I'm at the rebuild stage of the Differential assy of my '40 coupe. Which direction does the center bearing come out of the torque tube? The "FORD 1939 AND 40 ENGINE & CHASSIS REPAIR MANUAL" has a diagram on page 25 that would indicate it is removed/replaced from the rear of the tube, is this correct? Are they in there very tight? Can it be reused if taken out carefully? Does the rubber cushioning sleeve come out with the bearing? Is there something else I should know about in removing/replacing this bearing?

supereal    -- 04-27-2014 @ 3:53 PM
  The bearing is held in position by the grease fitting in the middle of the torque tube. Positioning the bearing can be tricky to get it in the right place.

Drbrown    -- 04-27-2014 @ 5:50 PM
  Recently there was a good thread going about this subject, with web links, photos and instructions for making a tool to remove and install.

avrotom    -- 04-27-2014 @ 6:21 PM
  Before posting, I used the "search" but could not find anything. I am sure this one has come up before.

avrotom    -- 04-27-2014 @ 6:32 PM
  If anyone has those links or can advise where to look for the thread, I would appreciate it.

Old Henry    -- 04-27-2014 @ 7:41 PM
  Here it is: http://www.flatheadv8.org/drivebearing.htm

avrotom    -- 04-27-2014 @ 10:11 PM
  Thank-you Old Henry. This clears up all the mistry of the center bearing.
My drive shaft is perfect where the bearing rides and the bearing is greased, maybe I will leave well enough alone. Cleaning the rest of it with the bearing in there is the problem, but I will succeed.

kubes40    -- 04-28-2014 @ 6:14 AM
  If you are certain that bearing is good in your car, I'd advise leaving it in there.
Typically once removed, they can't be reinstalled. They are actually held in place by a press fit. The outer circumference of the bearing has perhaps 5/8" of dense rubber vulcanized to it.
There is a special tool that not only pulls the bearing in to place (the proper depth in the torque tube), that tool also orientates the bearing assembly so that the grease fitting aligns with the opening in the rubber.
NOS bearings are very scarce. The few I have sold, have in fact sold quickly at $250 each.
I have heard there is an after-market modified bearing that is sold for this placement. I have no idea if it works as designed or not.

bosborn    -- 04-28-2014 @ 7:57 AM
  For what its worth... I replaced mine ('38 PU) some months ago. Thanks to this forum, I was able to obtain NOS. It was a difficult job. In hind sight I would have probably left well enough alone. Although, not knowing for sure the condition of the bearing when doing a complete restore creates a temptation to dive in. Good luck.

avrotom    -- 04-28-2014 @ 9:13 AM
  Thanks all for your good input. I think I will clean the tube and flush the bearing well with new grease before and after cleaning. Maybe borrow one of those flexible inspection rigs that can go in small places and get a closeup view after its clean.

avrotom    -- 04-28-2014 @ 10:29 AM
  As an end to this discussion, I found a NOS center brg for $395. Boy is my old one looking good.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7266