Topic: 39 Ford

Ron39    -- 04-26-2014 @ 2:20 PM
  Sorry if this is a dumb question but.... when I don't start my 39 Ford for a week or so it seems to loose the "prime" to the carb. The bowl is full of gas so it must be in the carb, right? I have to keep hitting it with starting fluid to get it to start. Any way to solve this problem? thanks in advance. Ron

boss1940    -- 04-26-2014 @ 3:46 PM
  Check to see if you have a leak on the fuel line, allowing to suck air.
Seems to me that some where you have a leak , which is causing you to loose he prime, thus draining the gas back to tank.

boss1940    -- 04-26-2014 @ 3:48 PM
  Also , check to see tht the fuel pump is working properly. Good vacuum etc .

kubes40    -- 04-27-2014 @ 6:06 AM
  Bowl? Do you mean fuel pump bowl? If so, then the issue may be a "non-issue". After a week, the gasoline will tend to evaporate in a '39 carburetor.
Yes, it's possible it is leaking down but if that's the case, you'd have (most likely) this issue the next day or two. It rarely takes a full week to leak out if the carburetor is at fault.
I'd suggest you stop using starting fluid or you will develop other, more serious issues.
If you need to prime the engine, use gasoline - sparingly.

37 Coupe    -- 04-27-2014 @ 8:47 AM
  I think the ethanol also tends to evaporate more in carburetor between runs. Some like to add an electric fuel pump to prime and others seem to think cranking the engine untill it gets fuel is better because by that time you have circulated oil. Make certain you are choking it each infrequent start also.

Ron39    -- 04-27-2014 @ 12:07 PM
  yes .. i did mean the fuel pump bowl. Thanks .. I will prime it with gas from now on.

TomO    -- 04-27-2014 @ 5:59 PM
  Check the gasket for the fuel pump sediment bowl. Try replacing it with a rubberized cork gasket. These gaskets dry out and leak air, but not fuel. Other areas that can cause vacuum leaks are the flex line to the fuel pump and if you have a inline gas filter.

Your fuel pump should prime the carburetor with 15 seconds of cranking. If it doesn't, you either have a vacuum leak to the fuel pump or the input valve in your fuel pump is leaking.

Make sure that you replace the air cleaner after pouring a small amount of gasoline down the carburetor. A backfire could do damage to you and your car.

Tom

Ron39    -- 04-27-2014 @ 7:02 PM
  will do! Thanks TomO

Gary M.    -- 04-30-2014 @ 6:05 PM
  After you have checked out the entire fuel system for air leaks and sediment,you might want to add in a small, low pressure fuel pump hidden under the car. I installed one on my 39 with a spring loaded toggle switch just for priming the carb bowl. When I don't use the car for long periods, I simply hold the switch for a few seconds till the bowl gets filled, then the car starts right up. These pumps come in 6v and 12v .

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7263