Topic: Need Battery Options for my '34

carguy    -- 04-14-2014 @ 7:45 PM
  I need a new battery for my '34. I've not had good luck with the Ford script batteries so I'm looking for a better battery. Problem is I haven't yet found a battery that will fit in the stock battery box because they are all too tall.

Surely I'm not the only one with this issue. I can remove the original battery box and build one that is deeper if necessary.

Comments/solutions appreciated.

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

cliftford    -- 04-14-2014 @ 8:29 PM
  Look up the recent post on 8v/ 6v optima batteries. A modern 6v optima, which is far superior to the lead acid batteries can be fitted into an old battery case and it will appear to be origional.

1934 Ford    -- 04-15-2014 @ 5:57 AM
  With a long history with 1934 Fords, here are the options I've used and still find acceptable.
#1 Lay the 6 Volt Optima on it's side in the original battery box under the drivers floor.
#2 Extend the drop of the original box to accomodate the taller traditional batteries.
#3 On my Fordor I put the extended battery box beneath the rear seat floor. This also allowed the correct routing of dual exhausts.
In 42 years nobody has ever found fault with any of these solutions. Possibly because most of the judgemental people can't bend over far enough to look up to see the sin that I may have committed.

1934 Ford's since 1972

Grant    -- 04-15-2014 @ 6:21 AM
  Hi, Bill.

We have just finished an Optima conversion project on our '36 roadster. It was pretty straightforward. The battery remains under the floor where it belongs.

For some reason the EFV8 web site's system will not allow me to post photos here.

If you would like to see some, and can provide an email address, I'll forward them to you that way..

TomO    -- 04-15-2014 @ 7:53 AM
  Grant,

You should be able to post photos on this site. Just click on the Browse box next to the Image Attachment. It will allow you to select a photo from your computer and attach it to the message.

If your photo is too large, it may not work, try reducing your photo by 50% and then retry.

If you post the name of the browser that you are using and any messages that you get, someone on the Forum will be able to help you.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 4-15-14 @ 8:03 AM

supereal    -- 04-15-2014 @ 2:05 PM
  Also, be sure that any photo or other material is in JPEG form. If not, it may not transmit most or all of the insert. To convert, bring up the photo, click on "export file format" and use a file folder as a destination. Then select that photo in the "browse" box on the site to attach it.

carguy    -- 04-15-2014 @ 2:26 PM
  Grant, PM sent. Thanks. Bill

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

Grant    -- 04-16-2014 @ 1:41 PM
  Bill........

Today the '36 is up on a shop hoist getting updates done on its '39 hydraulic braking system.

I'll get some good photos for you tomorrow and then send them via email.

TomO and Supereal.......

I am using Browse. No way it works here on Forum for me. However I can for some reason add a photo to a Parts Wanted ad.......but only if I misrepresent my location as Port Huron, Michigan instead of 40 miles away in Ontario Canada where I really am.

As a technopeasant, jpeg and browser are a complete mystery to me. My daughter is an engineer. She will be here for the Easter holiday weekend. Perhaps with her assistance a photo can be posted here.

murphy1936    -- 05-07-2014 @ 9:05 PM
  Where can one find a battery case for optima
battery please. John

Super Deluxe 41

40 Coupe    -- 05-08-2014 @ 3:30 AM
  John: The battery case or holder for a 35-36 is not an off the shelf item. You have to have one fabricated or DIY. There are a lot of small welding or fabrication shops that can do the job. Here is one in a 35 that is bolted in position, so it can easily be removed.

cliftford    -- 05-08-2014 @ 7:31 AM
  Go to a military surplus outlet and look for a 7.62mm ammo can . They are 10"x3 1/2"x 6" A6v optima will drop right in and the whloe thing will fit in your battery tray and can be bolted down. The battery wil stick up about 3/4".

JM    -- 05-09-2014 @ 5:46 AM
  I've had a 6v red top Optima in my 35 fordor for four years. I don't mess around trying to hide it in an original case. Made a dropped box that fits the original battery mounts under the floor that required no cutting or drilling of original mount. The entire assembly can be removed in 10 minutes if I ever want to go back to an original battery. At first I used a battery tender during the inactive winter months but found that to be unnecessary. I really like the no maintenance requirement and not having to worry about acid damage. I just bought another Optima for my 5W coupe. Price was $115.00 with free shipping from Amazon.com

John

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7227