Topic: Need special 36 hardware

Larry Lange    -- 04-05-2014 @ 2:49 PM
  Anybody know a supplier who has nuts to fit the 1/2-18 threads on back of the 36 Ford rumble seat pads -- or who supplies a tap that size so someone could fabricate the nut?

Thanks!

Larry Lange / Puget Sound Regional Group
larrylange36@comcast.net

ford38v8    -- 04-05-2014 @ 3:23 PM

Roy Nacewicz Enterprises www.fordbolts.com
Concourse correct fasteners

Alan

kubes40    -- 04-05-2014 @ 3:59 PM
  If Roy does not have them, you can acquire a 1/2"-18 tap at any decent tool supply company. Or, any competent machinist can cut the threads on a lathe.

40 Coupe    -- 04-06-2014 @ 3:47 AM
  That is a 1/2-18 thread and you will have to order a special tap at a machine shop supply store, since NC is 1/2-13 and NF is 1/2-20. The special thread taps are not as expensive as they may seem. The lower step is part of the tail light bracket and the upper, see below.

woodiewagon46    -- 04-06-2014 @ 1:29 PM
  McMaster-Carr has 1/2-18 taps in the "special tap size" section, it isn't cheap though, about $35.00. It's an odd size but if you need it what can you do.

mrtexas    -- 04-06-2014 @ 1:47 PM
  As usual you can find anything on ebay $10.66 including shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=1%2F2-18+tap&_sop=15

mrtexas    -- 04-06-2014 @ 1:49 PM
  Oops that one is in China, USA $14.07

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-18-SPECIAL-THREAD-HAND-TAP-NEW-1-372-206-/230839360249?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bf191af9

supereal    -- 04-07-2014 @ 10:19 AM
  To those new to the hobby: Ford used a variety of unusual fasteners and threads, so don't discard any that can be reused. I've amassed a large coffee can full over the years, and it gets searched often.

This message was edited by supereal on 4-7-14 @ 10:19 AM

Larry Lange    -- 04-07-2014 @ 5:45 PM
  Thanks much, 40 Coupe, for that very good drawing of the upper rumble step pad. Do you know who drew up the sketch showing dimensions and radii? I've seen Don Rogers' graphic of the hardware but not the drawing. Did Don supply that, also?

Larry Lange / PSRG

40 Coupe    -- 04-08-2014 @ 3:47 AM
  Larry: Don supplied most of the detail in the drawing, I supplied some of the photos. I did not know Don was going to use them in this manor or I would have taken them in a better light.

Larry Lange    -- 04-08-2014 @ 8:54 AM
  Well, 40 Coupe, thanks for taking the pictures. They're the only source I've found that shows what the hardware looks like.

I know Roy Nascewicz hasn't produced any duplicates of the hardware. Have you heard of anyone who has?

Larry Lange / PSRG

Don Rogers    -- 04-08-2014 @ 10:16 AM
  40 Coupe, That graphic was something I threw together to help someone in the past. I also didn't know that it would get so much exposure or I would have given you photo credit. If you have better photos, please send them to me and I will insert them in the graphic and neaten it up a bit.

Regards

Larry Lange    -- 04-08-2014 @ 10:46 AM
  Well, 40 Coupe, I'm glad you took the photos. That and the graphics are the only sources I know of that describe this hardware.

Now that we know Roy Nacewicz doesn't supply these pieces, do you know of anybody who is?

Larry Lange / PSRG

40 Coupe    -- 04-09-2014 @ 5:01 AM
  The pieces are also pictured in the Ford hardware book. Although the book does not give the profile and show the arch radius. The hardware is now attached to my car and I am a bit hesitant to remove it, but I will take a look and if it is not painted I'll get it off and send better photos to Don. I noticed someone on Exxx selling the square washer maybe a week ago. I also noticed the washer in a OD round form a couple of years ago.

Don Rogers    -- 04-09-2014 @ 5:26 AM
  40 Coupe, Don't go to a lot of trouble on my part. The photos are good enough that together with the images from the hardware book, people can tell what things look like.

Your mention of a round washer (48-714029) is interesting. Some of my sketches from my 8/10/07 visit to the Archives show a round washer with a 1 1/2" od.
(see image)

Your photos and the Hardware and Trim Book images seem to indicate that there were 2 styles.

Don Rogers    -- 04-09-2014 @ 6:18 AM
  Larry, Going back to your original question regarding the nut(48-714026) thread size. The original nut used a 1/4" pipe thread. That is why you never find a lock washer in the upper step plate assembly. Apparently there was enough taper in the 1/4" pipe thread to allow the nut to tighten securely without the use of a lock washer. I also believe that the original 40-2454 pedal/step pads had a 1/4" pipe thread also.

Larry Lange    -- 04-11-2014 @ 9:49 PM
  Don, I'm gradually confirming what you just wrote. I have a new pad in my lower rumble seat step, the one in the right taillight, and it seems to have a taper in the threads. It will also screw into my clutch or brake pedals but the taper prevents me from completely scr*w*ng it into the taillight mount. The set of pads I use on the pedals doesn't seem to have that taper, and those pads screw all the way into the taillight mount. At least two of my very good sources have declared that the threads in the pedal pads are 1/2-18, so I'm searching for a nut to fit that. The only nut I've found for a 1/4-pipe thread is a cap designed for plumbing, and it doesn't fit either of my pad bolts very well. I'm hoping to find something that does. Push comes to shove, I can probably locate a tap and drill a nut out of some kind of stock. I just want to make sure the thing fits securely when I mount it on the fender. I have another 36 owner also trying to find the right hardware. I'm hoping the search won't turn out to be a fool's errand, but, hey, half the fun of restoration is in the pursuit.
Larry Lange / PSRG

Grant    -- 04-16-2014 @ 1:58 PM
  Today three 1/4-18 brass nuts were forwarded by mail to Larry in Seattle.......after they were test-fitted on the upper rumble seat step pad which had been removed temporarily from our '36.

They came from a supplier in London, Ontario.

This is Larry's thread, so I'm going to ask him to pass along whatever information he thinks is appropriate and/or helpful.

Larry Lange    -- 04-27-2014 @ 7:59 PM
  Hello, all. I've obtained some good hardware for my 36 Ford rumble seat upper step pad. See Grant Fleming's last update. He found a nice set of brass nuts from Facca, the retailer in Ontario. For others who may need these, the nuts are numbered D111-B, 1/4-18. They'll need to be dressed or machined on the top side to fit the inner contour of the fender. The nut thread is tapered to fit the tapered threads on the pad. Grant believes that we can use rubber garden-hose gaskets as washers/cushions between the step pad and the fender. I also plan to use a metal washer that I've shaped to the fender top.
My thanks again to Grant, a member of Regional Group 149, for all his help and effort.
Larry Lange / PSRG

Grant    -- 04-29-2014 @ 5:05 AM
  Any other member have a missing or lost nut?

Or bolts or screws?

I would be pleased to pick up and mail whatever you need.

The D111-B is hex, not square, but does fit the step pad mounting stud's threads very nicely.

Facca sells a full line of fasteners including hard-to-find items suitable for EFV8 vehicles. They are an excellent supplier and are always pleased to assist a restorer, but do not have a catalog or shipping department........in-person shopping only at the counter.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7198