Topic: 1946 Ignition Coil

ab4875    -- 03-28-2014 @ 7:34 PM
  I picked up these two ignition coils last week at a junk shop. I think the Airzone one is correct for my 1946 business coupe. Does anyone know what the other one is off?

Is it worth replacing the internals with modern components or should I see how it works as is?

ab4875    -- 03-28-2014 @ 7:34 PM
  One more photo.

cliftford    -- 03-28-2014 @ 8:30 PM
  The one marked airzone looks correct for your engine if it is a v8. You might try it and see how it works. but I wouldn't expect too much, it looks like an after market replacement. These coils can be rebuilt.

ken ct.    -- 03-28-2014 @ 9:53 PM
  From what I know the rebuilder in Fl. will only rebuild FORD script ones. No aftermarkets. You could try Jake Flemming in Tx. He might do those. Hope you didn't pay too much for them ?? ken ct.

ab4875    -- 03-28-2014 @ 10:28 PM
  Hi Ken,

I'm in Oz and plan to rebuild them myself.

How much is too much? I paid $16.00 each. It means one less part I have to keep looking for, so I think the price is ok.

Andrew

ford38v8    -- 03-29-2014 @ 12:02 AM
  Andrew, I don't know too much about post war Fords, but I do know that the Airzone would not be "Correct" for any Ford. The Ford Script coil pictured is new to me, but I guess I haven't seen everything yet anyway. Both appear to be 6V and would likely be rebuildable, good practice for when you do find a "Correct" Ford Script coil to rebuild.

Alan

40 Coupe    -- 03-29-2014 @ 5:30 AM
  Ford did have some unusual parts. The Ford coil has the upper half of the 37-41 coil. This MAY (I am only assuming) that Ford had parts left over from 41 and may have wanted to use-them-up. If so the coil may have been used in 42. I have seen the coil before but not on a vehicle. I would not think it correct for 46, neither do I think the aftermarket is correct. You may want to rebuild a Ford script coil for 46.

supereal    -- 03-29-2014 @ 10:58 AM
  Old coils bought at car shows and flea markets are 99% likely to be junk. We keep a boxful just to have cores that can be rebuilt. Every one we tried caused the vehicle to fail within a few miles. That is the probable reason they were for sale, anyway. I believe Skip Haney can rebuild any coil that is not "potted" with epoxy, as some "rebuilts" were.

ab4875    -- 03-29-2014 @ 5:56 PM
  Are these coils likely to be oil filled or tar filled?

If they are oil filled I may just leave them as I think the oil could contain PCBs.

supereal    -- 03-31-2014 @ 1:40 PM
  Genuine old Ford coils use a kind of waxed paper as insulation between the windings. While it allows the coils to be disassembled, it is also why most old Ford coils break down. No PCB's to worry about.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7168