Topic: 1933 V8 change camshaft timing gear

HPD    -- 03-27-2014 @ 9:51 AM
  I from Switzerland. I own a 1933 Ford V8 Sedan.

I need your help. the camshaft timing gear on my car has broken. I bought a new, but I dont find in any restaurationsbooks or servicebrochure a description of how to change that according to work, can you help me?

Thank you for asap answer.

JM    -- 03-27-2014 @ 1:23 PM
  You have a very nice '33 fordor.
I don't want to discourage you, but replacing that timing gear can be an extensive job if you are not familiar with the mechanics of working on these early Ford v8's.
Several years ago I had a timing gear fail on my '35 fordor sedan which has an original '35, 21 stud engine. I was told the only way to replace the timing gear was to completely remove the camshaft to press the old gear off and the new gear on. I did not want to go to the hassle of removing the camshaft, so I worked out a process/procedure that allowed me to remove the old gear and install a new gear with the camshaft still in the engine. I had to make some special tooling to do this.
For good working access to the timing gear, I removed the grille, lower louvered grille panel, radiator, fan, fan belt, crankshaft pulley, distributor, plug wire harnesses, and of course the timing gear cover.
I chose to use a press-on aluminum timing gear to replace the original fiber gear. You could send me a personal message if you have any specific questions on how I did this gear replacement. Good luck!

John

This message was edited by JM on 3-27-14 @ 1:26 PM

HPD    -- 03-28-2014 @ 7:16 AM
  Hello John thank you for answer. Where you buy this press-on aluminium gear?

JM    -- 03-28-2014 @ 1:59 PM
  I decided to use an aluminum gear, with steel insert ring at inner diameter, because of the poor quality reproduction fiber gears that are being sold today. There was some concern that aluminum would make more noise than fiber but that didn't bother me.
The aluminum press-on gear that I used came from Mac VanPelt Sales in Cinn., Ohio. PN 81B-6256-A, std. size, 44 teeth, for Late '35-'41. I later bought several more on either ebay or Fordbarn.com classifieds just in case I needed them for my other cars. You would need to make sure of the tooth count on the timing gear that you actually need for your '33. Based on the Green Parts Book, '32-Early '35 used PN 18-6256-B, std. size, 56 teeth, fiber press-on gear, but somehow I found and bought two of these made of aluminum that I will probably have no use for. Let us know what gear and tooth count you actually have on your car when you get it apart.

John

This message was edited by JM on 3-28-14 @ 2:36 PM

HPD    -- 03-31-2014 @ 6:56 AM
  Hello John, this fiber press-on has 56 teeth. How much you must have for all alluminium gears? Vanpelt do not have t-gears to 1933 V8. HP

JM    -- 03-31-2014 @ 8:27 AM
  HPD, I was going to send you a PM on this but you have that disabled. Send me an email message at... john.mason320@gmail.com.
John

John

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7167