Topic: Shackles/ 36' truck

banjoQ    -- 03-26-2014 @ 5:36 PM
  In the process of installing a tube shock kit on my truck. This question relates to the front axle. After a failed attempt at using a worn out ratcheting spring spreader, I decided to use a porta power to unload front spring. Can anyone give me an idea how far I need to spread the spring to release tension on the shackle for removal? Also, the free plate on my shackles is on the front side. Can either plate be removed (front or back) or just the one. The reason I ask is that the shackle is in front of my axle and it looks as if clearance will be an issue getting it out. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stroker    -- 03-26-2014 @ 6:33 PM
  Remove the nuts on the shackles and apply just enough pressure to release the shackle plates, which should "wiggle" off the pins. Both the front and rear facing plates come off the same way. You may have to use a bar between the back of the spring and the axle to provide clearance for the rear plates, but it shouldn't be a major problem. You only need to spread the spring enough to release the tension on the shackle plates. I can't "quantify" how much, but obviously the plates have to have the spring tension removed in order to remove them. My question to you however, is why do you need to remove the shackle plates in order to install tube shocks?

This message was edited by Stroker on 3-26-14 @ 6:35 PM

banjoQ    -- 03-26-2014 @ 7:58 PM
  Stroker- The kit I have requires that I replace the perch pins with ones that have a drilled plate on top for the lower shock mount. These will certainly be easier to replace without the pressure of the spring. My intention is to just release both spring eyes and leave the spring to hang while I replace with new ones. Then re-install the spring. Currently, my truck has no shocks at all. This truck was built from components scrounged from a wrecking yard back in 1950. My hopes were to use these shocks and smooth out the ride a bit. We'll see..

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7164