Topic: Wedge vs star-wheel brake floaters

pauljanet    -- 03-25-2014 @ 3:27 PM
  I'd like to put a set of brake floaters on my '35 Fordor. I see that Flathead Ted sells floater kits that have floating wedges in them, and CG Ford (and others) sells kits that appear to contain something like star-wheel adjusters in place of the floating wedges. It looks like it would be very difficult to adjust the star-wheel type adjusters by reaching thru the 5/8 threaded hole where the original adjuster wedges have been removed. Does anyone know whether one type of kit is better than the other?

ford38v8    -- 03-25-2014 @ 10:05 PM
  Star wheel adjusters began use on Ford cars in 1949. Previously, Old Henry refused to pay the license fee for the design. Star adjusters are easily accessed with a brake spoon.

I'm not certain about the '35 and '36 for the star adjusters. The system is superior if applicable to those years, however, I was under the impression that stars would only work with the '37 and '38 brakes. The C&G website is not available at the moment, so I can't view the floaters they have. Ask them specifically about your model year. They are straight up and will advise you. Someone please set me straight on star floaters for '35?

Alan

Don Rogers    -- 03-27-2014 @ 6:44 AM
  Paul and Alan, The floaters or energizers were designed for 35 thru 38 brake systems. The original instructions give directions for 35-36 systems and 37-38 systems. I have them on both my 35 Fords and they improve my braking greatly.

JM    -- 03-27-2014 @ 9:27 AM
  I installed floaters like Don has pictured in his post on my '35 fordor last year before driving it on a 7200 mile trip. They gave a huge improvement in braking. I am planning to put floaters on my '35 5w coupe this summer, but thinking I will give a set of Flathead Teds floaters a try.

John

JM    -- 03-27-2014 @ 9:28 AM

This message was edited by JM on 3-27-14 @ 9:29 AM

ford38v8    -- 03-27-2014 @ 4:22 PM
  John, the star type of floater actually floats free of any side pressure, only having the shoes in actual contact. Ted's floaters cannot acurately be descibed as such, due to the side pressure applied from the adjuster on the backing plate. Ted's are, I believe, wedges similar to Ford's, but of superior design? The early brakes being different from the later, Ted's floaters are the only ones that can be installed. I had been mistaken about the '35-'36 being among that group, Don Rogers set me straight on that. Thanks Don.

Alan

flatheadfan    -- 03-27-2014 @ 10:39 PM
  I have the common "star" adjusters that Don Rogers shows in his response. I have them on a '36. Reaching through the 5/8" threaded hole is not a problem. I just use a screwdriver. Once adjusted they work fairly well.

Tom

JM    -- 03-28-2014 @ 2:17 PM
  Alan, I am not quite understanding the last part of your last post. Are you saying that Ted's floaters (more like wedges than floaters) can or can not be installed in '35-'36? Maybe I need to go to his website to see what his design looks like. I had been under the impression that his design was superior to the other (star wheel) designs. True/false??

John

MG    -- 03-28-2014 @ 3:59 PM
  Don Rogers,

I have a set of the floaters you pictured but I don't have the instruction sheet for there installation. Can you post the instructions?

MG

Don Rogers    -- 03-28-2014 @ 4:58 PM
  See if this is clear enough.

MG    -- 03-28-2014 @ 9:12 PM
  Thanks, Don...that came out great!

MG    -- 03-28-2014 @ 9:22 PM
  I see from the instruction that the pressed on 'welch plug'- dust cap must be removed and then replaced. Is there a simple/easy way to replace this plug/cap without destroying or distorting it? I've never had good success in doing this...

ford38v8    -- 03-29-2014 @ 12:16 AM
  John, The wedge type is the Ford type adjuster. The side pressure exerted by the adjuster on the wedge must overcome the spring tension holding the shoes together. This pressure prevents the free movement of the wedge as intended by Ford. Ted's wedge is of a steeper angle, which reduces the surface tension between adjuster and wedge, providing easier movement (centering) of the wedge, a simple but effective improvement over the Ford design.

The Star floaters being altogether different in adjuster design, float without interference from the side, as does the wedge design. In practice, Ted's design may be as efficient as the Star, I don't know, but you are about to find out I betcha!

Alan

ford38v8    -- 03-29-2014 @ 12:25 AM
  MG, The plug is removed simply by cranking the adjuster in all the way, which forces the dust cap off without damage. It will tap back into place with a small mallet.

Alan

pauljanet    -- 04-02-2014 @ 1:07 PM
  John, Tom, Alan & John: I really appreciate your thoughts and experiance on this topic. Since you've established that the star-type floaters work well and can be adjusted readily (thru the 5/8" hole) I'm going to order a set and go ahead with my brake job. Also, the star floaters are less expensive than the wedge type from Flathead Ted.

John, If you do go ahead with the Flathead Ted's, I'd like to know how they work.

This forum is really great, now that I've learned how to use it. I apologize for the mix-up. And they say that you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Thanks, Paul

dean333    -- 04-02-2014 @ 2:25 PM
  Don, was your kit from C&G?

TIM CARLIG

Don Rogers    -- 04-02-2014 @ 3:48 PM
  No Tim, I got it at a flea market years ago before they were being reproduced.

Don Rogers    -- 04-02-2014 @ 3:50 PM
  Inside the box

dean333    -- 04-03-2014 @ 8:57 AM
  Thanks Don. Wow, what a find!

TIM CARLIG

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7158