Topic: Rouge Award Floormat Question

TonyM    -- 03-23-2014 @ 10:09 PM
  During the course of a major repair I had to remove the front floor mat of my 1937 Ford De Luxe Fordor. It was so old and brittle that it began to deteriorate and self destruct with just light handling.

In the event that I cannot preserve it, how much of a percentage of the interior would the front floor mat comprise in regards to a Rouge judging scenario?

For Rouge consideration of the interior, the interior must be 90% original unrestored. Will a new front floor mat push my interior under Ninety Percent?

There is an old Southwind Heater (disconnected) and new clutch and brake pedals. If I can't preserve the original front floor mat and have to use a new one would this car have enough original percentage to make it a Rouge Car?

78-73B

This message was edited by TonyM on 3-23-14 @ 11:28 PM

David J    -- 03-25-2014 @ 1:16 PM
  Hey Tony , Clueless on judging standards but why not take a piece of frost shield membrane that goes under the lower rows of shingles on a house up north and stick your pieces on it . It is pretty sticky stuff and tough . Even a thin piece of rubber mat and glue all your pieces to it ? If you have most of the pieces it should look OK . That way you will still have the gennie mat showing . Not exactly the prim & proper way but it just might work . As you know I like driving these things - not waxing the underside of my fenders so judges aren't a consideration to me . BTW how did the tranny work ? David J

BERTHA    -- 03-26-2014 @ 5:31 PM
  Tony,

In 2006 'Bertha' our 53 Victoria received the Rouge Interior, Exterior and Running gear certification with these period replacement floor mats.

Bob

"it's only original once""

This message was edited by BERTHA on 3-26-14 @ 5:32 PM

BERTHA    -- 03-26-2014 @ 5:35 PM
  Sorry linked the wrong photo...

Bob

"it's only original once""

TonyM    -- 03-31-2014 @ 2:39 PM
  Thanks Bertha, but the 1937 floor mat in front is the whole floor, not add on types like you have. There is no carpet in front.

Can anybody answer this? Really would like to send in my Meet Package, but I am trying to decide what category. Would like to send my pack in soon.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

TM

78-73B

This message was edited by TonyM on 3-31-14 @ 2:40 PM

ford38v8    -- 03-31-2014 @ 3:17 PM
  Tony, If you haven't disposed of the original mat, use what remains of it, and do what David suggested to piece it together. The Rouge award is not about condition, only about originality. The same goes for the pedals you replaced. Put the old pedals back on and you're good to go.
The Southwind would cost points if your car was point judged, but I don't think there is a consequence in the Rouge class.

The swap meets are entertaining a resurgence in old worn out upholstery due to the originality requirement of the Rouge Class. Technically it's supposed to be original to the actual car, as these replacements confound the purpose of the award, but it happens nevertheless.

Alan

TonyM    -- 03-31-2014 @ 3:48 PM
  I still have the old floor mat. The pedals I replaced were replacements. I have been thinking about this -among other things- and I will probably try and preserve this floormat. It was in frail condition. I manage a property where I store the Ford. There is an empty building. I had laid the floor mat out in one of the empty rooms while I thought about the problem. I was horrified to discover that the property owners had grabbed the mat and folded it up in effort to tidy up, damaging it further. Ugh!!!!

The floor mat still looks somewhat salvageable. But if I add a backing, then that might be considered a resto job. I can store the floor mat now until Aug with no problems, I just dread trying to handle it. I will probably put the mat on a board (perhaps sandwich it) and preserve it flat and move it that way. It will be tricky trying to put it back in the car without damaging it further. We'll see.

I would hate to declare Rouge and then not be able to get it back together. Could I reclassify to Touring at the meet if I can't get it back together?

78-73B

Kens 36    -- 03-31-2014 @ 3:54 PM
  Tony,

You can register in Rouge and change your class at any time, right up to Concourse day. Best to let us know when you arrive on site, though.

Did you ever get the phone call we talked about?

Ken

TonyM    -- 03-31-2014 @ 4:00 PM
  No phone call. My numbers in the directory are good. If someone called they left no message. There was an unnamed call from FL, but no message. I think we were talking about a different state? I'll hang in there a couple more days and we'll see. Thanks DavidJ, Alan, Ken and Bertha.

78-73B

This message was edited by TonyM on 3-31-14 @ 4:01 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7155