Topic: Info Needed

matt47025    -- 03-20-2014 @ 3:55 PM
  I am currently looking to buy a 48, 49 or 50 F1 1/2 ton. Its important to me that it is completly stock. Not an easything to find these days. How can I be sure the motor is original to the truck?

A 49 I was looking at has a wood bed and a 50 i looking at has a metal bed floor. When did they stop using wood and start using metal for the bed floor?

CaliforniaBorn36    -- 03-20-2014 @ 6:35 PM
  I am certain someone will chime in with the exact year that bed floors went to metal, but I owned a fairly original 40 half ton and the bottom of the bed was metal, it had factory stamped ridges and a fuel sending unit access plate. It is very misleading as many install wood planks over a metal floor for appearances. In the '40 there were actually wooden boards under the metal.

Norm    -- 03-22-2014 @ 5:05 PM
  I have a very original '48 F-1. It has a metal floor in the bed. It is embossed with the profile of the strips between the wooden planks. There is a complete wooden floor beneath the metal. You have to look underneath the truck to see the wooden floor. I don't know when Ford stopped using the metal bed floor, but I think it was in production for quite a long time. Folks like to expose the wood because it looks nice varnished with shiny strips between the boards. Not original, though! Such a floor would not hold up very well under the punishment these trucks were exposed to in actual use. They were built for service, not beauty!

trjford8    -- 03-26-2014 @ 8:21 AM
  I believe the metal bed floor disappeared in 1953.

supereal    -- 03-26-2014 @ 12:31 PM
  It was not unusual for an owner to install a metal floor over the original wood. My father-in-law owned a creamery in the 50's and had the metal installed in his trucks so heavy cream cans could be slid into place. Many farmers also did it.

trjford8    -- 03-26-2014 @ 1:08 PM
  Diamond plate was the most commonly used on pickups. My dad had some in his 51 F-1.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7142