Topic: fuel fittings

40merc    -- 01-30-2010 @ 7:23 PM
  what size are the brass fuel fittings at the tank/ fuel pump and carb?

TomO    -- 01-31-2010 @ 9:32 AM
  These are special fittings that are no longer stocked at most auto supply stores. They are available from Dennis Carpenter and C&G parts as well as from many other vendors. The correct copper plated steel line, with the correct fittings, from the tank to the firewall is available from Roy Nacewicz. the line from the fuel pump to the carburetor is available from Dennis Carpenter. The flex line is available from a supplier that advertises in the V-8 Times. I don't have his number available at this time, maybe someone else can provide it.

Tom

supereal    -- 01-31-2010 @ 10:07 AM
  C&G also sells the complete fuel line with fittings for about $20.

40merc    -- 01-31-2010 @ 4:35 PM
  i was looking for thread count and length & diameter specifically, the fittings ive got from mac' antique auto parts seem to small, as with the other fittings i have, i understand they are compression fittings but, the fittings seem to small...

TomO    -- 02-01-2010 @ 8:02 AM
  Mac's probably sold you the modern compression fittings for 1/4" tubing. They are too small.

I don't have the information that you want readily available. Ford did not list the fitting P/N separately in his catalogs.

I noticed that Carpenter does not list the nut separately any more, in his online catalog.

Tom

deuce_roadster    -- 02-01-2010 @ 10:26 AM
  The fitting you are looking for I have seen listed as a "Ford nut" which is a compression fitting that doesn't have a separate collar, it is all one piece. The Ford nut was also used on both ends of the vacuum line to the distrib. but of course, was a smaller size then the fuel line.
Weatherhead used to have them at robust car parts places that carried their products.

39 Ken    -- 02-01-2010 @ 2:09 PM
  Here is a link to Plews which describes the nut you want. Once you see it you can probably get one or more at NAPA.
http://www.plews-edelmann.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=1861&location_id=2516

40merc    -- 02-01-2010 @ 8:39 PM
  so a fitting like this ? (see attached) so this fitting looks like a compression with out an olive, as you guys described. this is the appropriate type of fitting?

i guess my next question is, is the 1\4" fuel line too small? ive been told to use 3/8" line from the tank up to the pump and carb. does this even matter? im not sure what future future plans will be for the car, so im open to your suggestions.

Joe

This message was edited by 40merc on 2-1-10 @ 8:43 PM

ford38v8    -- 02-01-2010 @ 9:13 PM
  40merc, Your advisors are not really wrong, they are just modern. If you want to restore your Merc correctly, as Henry built it, then the correct fuel line is 1/4" copper plated steel. The flathead is a small engine, and doesn't have the fuel requirements of a high horsepower gas guzzler. A muscle car would do well to have a 3/8" fuel line, but it is not needed for the old cars.

Alan

TomO    -- 02-02-2010 @ 7:14 AM
  40merc, you will probably be better off buying the lines with the fittings. If the line form the tank is original, it probably has rust in the interior and this will eventually plug the line. If you are going to replace the line from the tank on a 40 Mercury, buy the line from Roy Nacewicz or from NARRAGANSETT REPRODUCTIONS. They will have the correct length (152 3/4" )for your car. The other vendors provide a line that is about 8 inches too short (144" ).

Tom

40merc    -- 02-02-2010 @ 7:33 AM
  tom, thanks for the advice, i actualy just pulled the gas tank out to get it metal stripped (the gas was milky white and eating just about anything it could does anyone know what this was? varnish perhaps? it ate the fuel float and the diaphragm on the fuel pump which was only a year old.) and the gas line was in three major pieces, one origional. about four feet of ruber and the rest was like 5/16 brake line, some one got creative.

so a replacement is in need!!!

This message was edited by 40merc on 2-2-10 @ 7:34 AM

jerry.grayson    -- 02-02-2010 @ 9:21 AM
  40 Merc I have the correct Ford nuts for the carburetor and fuel lines. They are $3.75 each plus postage.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=713