Topic: 39 running rough

cappy39    -- 01-30-2010 @ 5:09 PM
  OK Guys
I know I ask alot of questions, but you are helping. So I had the carb rebuilt, put in new points, new rotor and new plug wires. It idles well but sputters and coughs at acceleration. I rechecked compression and found it to be better. Now it is between 80 and 90lbs. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Mark

ford38v8    -- 01-30-2010 @ 9:34 PM
  Cappy, Distributor points need to be timed, not just set with a feeler gauge. The best way is to have the distributor set on a machine. No further timing is required, and the unit is ready for installation on you ford.

Alan

cappy39    -- 01-30-2010 @ 9:47 PM
  Alan
where would I have this done? Is this the plate thing that I saw at the Early Ford store, with the light bulb on it? If they let me borrow it, how is it used?
Also I was wondering, could the condenser or coil be causing the problem? The person I got the car from said he ran it shortly with a 12volt battery.
As always, thanks for the help.
Mark

Steves46    -- 01-31-2010 @ 6:00 AM
  Hi Mark. I had a very simular problem with my 46 Coupe. After I sent my distributor to Skip Haney for rebuild, problem gone and she runs better than ever. Skip has a machine and should be able to set-it perfectly. Also, recommend sending your coil to him as well. Great guy to deal with too. His ad runs in the V8 times. Good luck. Steve

ford38v8    -- 01-31-2010 @ 8:20 AM
  Mark, Steve's got it right. Although there are many others that can set up your distributor, Skip can also rebuild your coil, which you'll find to be an essential also. Skip's website:

Skip Haney www.fordcollector.com
Remanufactured coils and high volume modified water pumps for flatheads

Alan

TomO    -- 01-31-2010 @ 9:13 AM
  Cappy, check your spark for a nice blue spark that makes a sharp cracking sound when a plug wire is held close to a head nut. If your spark is weak, try changing the condenser. If that does not fix your problems send your coil and distributor to Skip.

Tom

supereal    -- 01-31-2010 @ 10:12 AM
  If the above suggestions don't fix it, look down your carb as you work the throttle. You should see two strong jets of fuel, one down each side. If you don't, or just get a dribble, the accelerator pump is the cause. We have found that the replacement spring that pushes the pump down in the well in the rebuild kits is too weak, so we reuse the original. The linkage pushes the spring, not the pump shaft. It took a while to discover this, and since then we have seen more than one.

Pauls39    -- 01-31-2010 @ 10:35 AM
  Most likely the condenser is bad. Running it on 12 volts is not a good plan that may have damaged the coil too. Call Skip if the condenser change dosen't solve the problem.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=712