Topic: 36 Cabriolet Trailer Hitch

rstefani59    -- 03-11-2014 @ 7:56 PM
  I am looking for information about installing a trailer hitch on my 36 Cabriolet. I saw a car at the Lake Tahoe meet that had one that bolted onto the plate that holds the rear leaf springs to the axle and was wondering if anyone knew where to get a trailer hitch like that one.

c-gor    -- 03-12-2014 @ 7:17 AM
  If interested, I have designed a hitch for a 1940 Ford that fastens to the frame using the same bolts that connect the bumper supports. (I pull a Mullins Trailer)

Please leave you e-mail and I will contact you.

JM    -- 03-12-2014 @ 10:10 AM
  Not sure I understand what you mean by "a plate that holds the rear springs to the axle"?? Maybe you could explain that better.
I am planning to make a bolt on trailer hitch for a '35 fordor sedan. What I am thinking about doing is making a 1/2 to 3/8" thick steel plate that bolts to the bottom of the "U" bolts that hold the rear spring in the cross member. This may require using slightly longer "U" bolts. This plate would have the tongue bar welded to the bottom center between the "U" bolt nuts. The tongue bar would also have a cross bar welded in place that would fit behind the bumper and fasten to the bumper bolts. The tongue bar would extend out past the bottom of the bumper and have a hole for attaching the ball. I would be using this hitch to pull a small teardrop type camper trailer.

John

This message was edited by JM on 3-12-14 @ 12:54 PM

rstefani59    -- 03-12-2014 @ 6:56 PM
  I have attached a couple of pictures of the trailer hitch I saw. It looks like it has a plate that is bolted on using the U bolts that hold the rear leaf springs in place. It doesn't look like it has any other attachments to the car. The receiver portion is far enough under the car that it does not show when the hitch portion is not installed. Then it has 2 eye bolts that were put in the back cross member to attach the safety chains to. All I plan to tow is a very light weight tear drop trailer. My direct email is rstefani@nvbell.net

Thanks for the replies

This message was edited by rstefani59 on 3-12-14 @ 7:56 PM

rstefani59    -- 03-12-2014 @ 7:59 PM
  Here are the pictures

rstefani59    -- 03-12-2014 @ 8:01 PM
  Picture #2

rstefani59    -- 03-12-2014 @ 8:01 PM
  Picture #3

ford38v8    -- 03-12-2014 @ 10:09 PM
  Stephan, I know the car you have photos of, and while the owner is a very knowledgeable V8er deserving of respect for his setup, I personally don't believe that level of engineering is required, and is certainly not aesthetic. I feel that CGor's setup is likely more traditional in design and certainly adequate for a Mullins trailer.

Alan

JM    -- 03-13-2014 @ 12:32 AM
  The hitch I am planning to make would attach to the U bolts very similarly to the pictures of the '36 you posted, but would also have a cross bar that is attached to two bumper bolts behind the bumper. I believe this would make a more stable hitch for what I plan to tow. I would like to design this hitch so that it would be relatively easy to attach or remove from the car, yet have the strength and stability required. First priorities for me would be safety and function. Not too concerned about esthetics.

John

Stroker    -- 03-13-2014 @ 4:23 PM
  I agree with Alan if you are only going to tow a light trailer. My 38 had a trailer hitch that was built in the late 30's by a local blacksmith. It featured the U-bolt spring center attachment, and used the bumper arm mounts on the frame for vertical support to handle tongue weight. A very strong, well thought-out design that we used to pull a wooden tandem axle two-horse trailer and a small mobile home during WW-II. Overkill for how we use our Fords today. The Mullins and other light camping trailers have very little tongue weight, and the draft loads are very small. Keep it simple and aesthetic.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7113