Topic: Cabriolet window tracks.

browncabriolet    -- 03-05-2014 @ 6:14 PM
  Hi there, i am having some difficulty locating the felt strips that fit inside the window tracks on a 1934 cabriolet. Would anyone be able to tell me the technical name and where i would be able to track down these pieces.
thanks
Cai

40 Coupe    -- 03-06-2014 @ 5:37 AM
  There does not appear to be an off the shelf replacement part. 35 Cabriolet had the same felt. I found this posting on fordbarn.com :

The Briggs bodied '36-39 Fords and ChryCo convertible, (Plymouth) used a very sitmilar door window track assembly.
I am just finishing up the restoration of a '39 Plym conv cpe. When it came to the windows we hit a stone wall trying to find insulation material for the tracks and rollers for the window frame.
I finally had the rollers made by a machinist... my glass man wanted to modify the tracks to use later model U channel... I nixed that idea.
Looking through part supply books I finally found 3/4" x 1/8" felt in Restoration Specialities catalog. It was very easy to cut the felt down to 5/16" .
The big problem is to get the felt into the crimped groove/channel. The metal is to thick to open the channel, if you do bend it open, it is near impossible to re-crimp it closed. It is also near impossible to glue the felt into the channel.
After many hours of trying various methods to insert the felt into the channel I finally came up with a clamping devise that I made out of two pieces of 3/16" x 5/8" flat bar stock steel. I placed the precut felt onto the one plate, placed the other plate over the felt and clamped the two together using C clamps. I tightened the clamps down as tight as I could.... left the clamps in place for several hours, removed the clamps and quickly placed the felt into the groove... The whole process took just a couple of minutes.. The felt quickly expanded to fill the grove, I then re-crimped the ends of the track to secure the felt.
My car still had some of the felt in the wind tract so I knew that they were not glued in, only crimped on the ends of the tract.
In the last couple of years I have done some other cars for fellow car nuts.

This message was edited by 40 Coupe on 3-6-14 @ 5:41 AM

browncabriolet    -- 03-07-2014 @ 7:04 PM
  Thank you for the ideas, I think what i may do now is go to the upholstery shop and just get a small piece of felt and use you method!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7099