Topic: Dual Exhaust.

Gary M.    -- 03-04-2014 @ 7:08 PM
  Hi guys, Im looking for some advice on purchasing and installing dual exhaust on my 39 Tudor Standard. First off, my system is in good shape so I would like to salvage as much as I can. What I would like to do is cut off the cross over pipe and cap it off, then start from the other manifold and run back. Is there a company out there that manufactures pre-bent pipes for dual systems, or do they have to be custom made ? Also, is there a site that shows a proven method of running the pipes through the frame without interfering with any wires or brake lines or steering gear ? Any info would be great. Thanks.....

ford38v8    -- 03-04-2014 @ 10:53 PM
  Gary, any decent muffler shop can do it. Have them model the tail pipe identical to the existing pipe, as left and right are interchangeable. The manifold pipe will take a U turn to the rear, and will interfere with the elbow of the clutch pedal. To fix this, a hot spot from a torch and a light tap with a ball peen will do the trick.

Alan

Gary M.    -- 03-05-2014 @ 1:56 AM
  Thanks Alan for the info.I would rather do the work myself if possible. Are there any company's that produce the pipe already pre bent? I've never actually seen it in any parts catalogues.Thanks again....

bobgrice    -- 03-05-2014 @ 2:46 AM
  There are a couple of places that sell a dual conversion kit, ready to install. Here is a link to one:

http://macsautoparts.com/early-v8-ford-mercury-dual-exhaust-conversion-set-ford-passenger-91a-5255-mext/camid/F30/cp/UQ0IEPTZ1000023/

I believe (please confirm) that the above set is for an original front-exit manifold. There are some vendors who sell a reproduction of an original rear-exit driver's side manifold.

Good luck!

Be prepared, as mentioned above, to massage the driver's side exhaust pipe where the clutch arm elbow is. The elbow on mine hit the pipe when the pedal was about 1" from the floor. I used a hydraulic press to flatten the pipe in that area, but heat & smash will probably work just fine.

JM    -- 03-05-2014 @ 3:29 AM
  Reds Headers sells kits for complete dual exhaust systems. I know he has kits that include his headers, but he may also have kits that could be used with stock exhaust manifolds.

John

This message was edited by JM on 3-5-14 @ 8:02 PM

Gary M.    -- 03-05-2014 @ 5:58 PM
  Ive looked at both sites and found the pipes from the manifolds to the mufflers, which I assume will need some tweaking after installation. However, I only found one company that sells the 91A5256L left tail pipe. C and G sells it for three times the price of the right pipe. Supply and demand I guess ! Does anyone know of any other companies that produce that pipe? Thanks again for all your help guys.....

Pickup    -- 03-05-2014 @ 6:39 PM
  I bought the left and right pipes from engine to mufflers from Mac's for about $100. I used a straight pipe on the left side to replace the muffler and for the left tail pipe, I took the right tail pipe to a muffler shop and told them to make the left pipe just the opposite of the right pipe. That cost about $60. Every thing fit well, but I think I am going to put some kind of muffler on the left side.

supereal    -- 03-05-2014 @ 7:51 PM
  The reason the left side head pipe is expensive is that it is the key to a successful installation. Otherwise, the rest is fairly straightforward. Most prefab left pipes don't just bolt on. While it is tempting to DIY, a good job is best left to the pros who can compensate for the thermal expansion and avoid rattles. They do earn their money. At our shop, we do sublet the job, and never regret it.

MICHV8    -- 03-06-2014 @ 6:33 AM
  I bought the entire dual system from Jim at Red's Headers and everything fit perfectly on my 39 coupe. Jim also supplies really nice hangers with the kit. Jim is highly recommended.

MDB    -- 03-06-2014 @ 4:07 PM
  I have a 39 Deluxe 2dr sedan on which we installed the Mac's (pre Ecklers) conversion kit about 2 years ago. Although I did not personally install, my restoration guy had very little challenge getting it to fit. The tightest spot was passing through left frame hole, but required no modification. I used the mid-length Smitty mufflers. As expected, we did have to reduce length of tailpipes to fit our choice of Ford script tailpipe extensions. Turned out great!

Stroker    -- 03-06-2014 @ 4:34 PM
  Many of us have done this conversion at home, and the only area of concern is as Alan stated; interference with the clutch pedal lever. Easy to avoid if you prop the pedal (or have someone hold it) to the floor during installation to ensure that there will be no interference. Alan's comment about heating and dimpling the pipe might seem like it would restrict flow, but given that you will now have twice the flow as with a single pipe, it is of no practical consequence.

37 Coupe    -- 03-07-2014 @ 8:00 AM
  MichV8 is the dual exhaust you bought from Red's from the original manifolds or his steel headers? I look on his site and do not see a dual exhaust conversion without headers. I myself always prefer original cast iron exhaust manifolds or Fenton's if they fit,never cared for steel headers that have a shorter life. I have a set of duals from a company called Arasco on my 37,they used to advertise in Hemming's but do not see the ads anymore. The setup works but it was pretty frustrating,I think they made it to bump into anypart of the frame and chassis they could. I felt to I wanted to put this all on in my garage and not take to a shop. In my area it is hard to find a muffler shop to do this anymore they just don't want to take the time,and I mean the locally owned ones not the big names. You would think they would take anywork they could the way exhaust last with newer cars,my 99 Explorer still has the complete exhaust system from the factory. I had a 63 Ford with a 390 and factory duals my dad bought new and it required exhaust work about every other year from new.

Gary M.    -- 03-07-2014 @ 4:45 PM
  Thanks guys for all the useful info. Ill have to figure which way I want to go about this install. While inspecting the underside of the car for clearances, I noticed that the fuel line runs very close to where the left side pipes and muffler will run, especially where the pipe runs over the rear axle. Has anyone who added duals to their car had to add any heat shields or move any sections of the fuel line since this car was never made with duals from the factory? Thanks again....

trjford8    -- 03-07-2014 @ 7:33 PM
  You should not need any heat shields as long as the exhaust pipe is not right next to the line. I have had exhaust(tail pipes0 with in a couple of inches of the gas line and with 3 inches of a new plastic gas tank and never had a problem.

Gary M.    -- 03-08-2014 @ 6:02 PM
  Well I did install a 6v priming fuel pump right outside the gas tank just to push the gas up to the carb after the car has sat for long periods. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to put a shield around it considering it also has a filter after it. Safety first! The rest of the fuel line should be ok . Thanks again.....

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7096