Topic: 1948 Aluminum Running Boards

williemcl    -- 03-03-2014 @ 2:13 PM
  I am restoring my 1948 Super Deluxe 2 door sedan and would appreciate information on how to restore the aluminum running boards.

ford38v8    -- 03-03-2014 @ 5:11 PM
  Williem, I'm so glad you posted that question, as it confirms a long standing question that many of us here have had regarding aluminum running boards. I have not heard until now that they were used on anything but 1946 models, and then only on some, not all. That they were still being used to some extent in 1948 is news to me!

To restore the boards, I believe the rubber is being reproduced, and is a glue-on operation. The boards must be very clean and smooth, as all imperfections will show through.

Alan

42wagon    -- 03-04-2014 @ 3:22 AM
  Alan
According to the 41-48 Ford book (page 2-18) some of the 47s and most of the 48s had aluminum running boards except the convertibles and station wagons. No mention of the 46 having them.
Ted

ford38v8    -- 03-04-2014 @ 11:03 AM
  Ted, thanks! I have the book but haven't rtead it yet. My bad!

Alan

supereal    -- 03-04-2014 @ 1:25 PM
  Old Henry had great interest in aluminum. At the time, it had two main drawbacks: it was expensive, and without the proper alloy, it was too soft and easily corroded. Now, his interest is vidicated as aluminum is used for engine blocks and a host of other applications. The 2015 Ford pickups will feature extensive aluminum body panels. Body shops are going to have to learn lots of welding and gluing skills.

joe b    -- 03-04-2014 @ 1:48 PM
  Our local Ford dealer who sells lots of trucks said ALL his body shop guys are going back to school for aluminum training. They recently had an ad for a body repairman and it said "must be able to repair-weld aluminum". It looks like they expect the truck to be a big seller.

ford38v8    -- 03-04-2014 @ 11:07 PM
  Despite my earlier boo boo, I think I've got this one nailed regarding old Henry's interest in aluminum, at least when it comes to running boards:

Heny Ford, during and long before the running boards in question, was no longer involved with the Ford Motor Company's day-today operation. He devoted all his time and energy to Greenfield Village at that time in his life.

THe aluminum running boards were a direct result of the material shortages in the post war period.

Alan

supereal    -- 03-05-2014 @ 7:35 AM
  I wasn't referring to the running boards. Henry Ford died on April 4, 1947, but his influence on production fell years earlier, as his mental state deteriorated. The company was on the brink of collapse when Henry the second was released from the military to take over. Old Henry was always seeking new materials, and investigated soy based plastic at one time. i'm surprised that there weren't running boards made of that stuff. Plastic body panels were hailed by GM for their Saturn cars, but were dropped later. It will be interesting to see how aluminum fares as large scale body material.

Stroker    -- 03-05-2014 @ 9:43 AM
  My Ford Ranger has an aluminum hood, as did my 78 Buick turbo. I will state that it is not a desirable feature in a Midwestern hailstorm. It will be interesting to see how the new 150's do here in Iowa this summer (assuming summer will actually arrive). So....will we have to amend the old axiom that states: "On a clear-cold Iowa night, you can actually HEAR a Ford rust" and substitute the word "rust" for "corrode"?

supereal    -- 03-05-2014 @ 5:39 PM
  Too, true, Dan. Maybe a "sacrificial anode" will be featured as a hood ornament!

supereal    -- 03-05-2014 @ 5:39 PM
  Too, true, Dan. Maybe a "sacrificial anode" will be featured as a hood ornament!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7087