Topic: spring start up

Lenny    -- 03-03-2014 @ 1:19 PM
  After setting for four of five months, what is the proper procedure for starting the engine?
I've always squirted a little top oil into each cylinder, turned it over, then hot fired it up.
suggestions are appreciated.
Lenny

David J    -- 03-03-2014 @ 4:19 PM
  I simply hit the starter and leave the ignition off until it has oil pressure and then turn the ignition on . This is on a cars that are in good order and have not ingested any cr*p or moisture over the winter . Works for me !

Norm    -- 03-04-2014 @ 11:36 AM
  Pretty truck!!

nelsb01    -- 03-04-2014 @ 12:07 PM
  Lenny;
I would hope you do more than that before hitting the road.
How about a couple of drops of good oil in the oil cups of the generator, and water pumps (if they have oil cups). Clean out the sediment bowl on the fuel pump (if equiped) or replacing the in line fuel filter (if equiped). If you didnt change the oil in the fall before storage, now is a good time.
And there are a couple of other items that you may want to check and service before heading down the road.
Grease the fittings. Check the tranmission level. Check the rear end level. Check the steering level. Air up the tires to the proper pressure. Check the radiator level and adjust accordingly. Clean the battery connections. Check all your lights.
I am sure that I have missed a few other items, but I trust that others will add to the list.
Once done, go out and enjoy driving your truck.

David J    -- 03-04-2014 @ 12:33 PM
  Only question I see from the OP is about starting the engine .

Lenny    -- 03-04-2014 @ 12:53 PM
  Thanks gentlemen,
All good suggestions. I'm very particular about my truck. I have friends that do nothing but stick the key in the ignition and go.
Others are like me. Everything gets checked.
Lenny

BERTHA    -- 03-06-2014 @ 6:46 PM
  Worked since we got Grandma's car in 1976...

Ck fluids, crank 'til we get OP, run to temp, shut down and check.

Bob

"it's only original once""

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7086