Topic: Vehicle Data

Howard Hughes    -- 02-26-2014 @ 9:04 AM
  I have just purchased a 1950 Ford Tudor Custom Deluxe.
Trying to decode the numbers stamped in the cowl above the firewall..........they appear as the following...

SP

F 70B C 27J 46059

If anyone knowledgeable could help decode the above I would really appreciate it!

kubes40    -- 02-26-2014 @ 9:34 AM
  The "F" indicates it was built at the Dearborn plant. The "70B" indicates it is a Custom Deluxe Tudor.
I am not quite certain whether or not Ford began to indicate body color and engine in 1950. I think that came about later, perhaps 1952?
Your serial number may tell more...

deluxe40    -- 02-26-2014 @ 9:45 AM
  Although the order the codes are presented in doesn't exactly match the club's 49-50-51 Ford Book, I would guess the following:

SP= St. Paul plant
F = Sunland Beige paint
70B = Custom Deluxe Tudor
C = Custom Mohair, blue gray stripe
27J = 27th day of June
46059 = unit production code

Does this match anything else you know about the car?

51f1    -- 02-26-2014 @ 12:07 PM
  The information on the cowl varied from plant-to-plant and may not have been used at some, or so I have been told. It was strictly for in-plant use.

Another opinion: 27J is 27 September. If you start with A for January and throw out I (may be confused with 1), J is the 9th month. This system was used on my '51 truck.

A date close to the car's build date is probably stamped on the back of the speedometer. That is the build date for the speedometer which would have been several weeks before the car was built.

Richard

deluxe40    -- 02-26-2014 @ 2:54 PM
  51f1 is right about the date code and also about the confusing number of different formats used. The club's book (published in 1990) notes that 18 different formats for '49 to '51 cowl codes had been discovered by then.

I'm going to guess this is a late '50, assembled in September of 1950, because the format of the other codes changed to the format shown here on May 12, 1950 (e.g., the Body Code for Custom Deluxe Tudor changed from C70 to 70B on that date).

The serial number will also give you the type of engine ("B" for V8 and "H" for six), the year ("0" for 1950) and the assembly plant("SP"?). This number can be found on the data plate (sometimes), on the 45 degree cross brace in the frame near the radiator on the passenger side, and (maybe) on the paperwork.

Howard Hughes    -- 02-27-2014 @ 7:09 AM
  Everything seems to fit you mentioned in your reply,
The one thing that is puzzling me is that when I pulled the old chrome off the doors and quarters and fenders the dark bluish color represents a Ford Bimini Blue as near as I can tell. The upholstery matches exactly along everything else you mentioned.
Vin number on Ford Scripted data tag to the left reads:
BOSP178088............

Howard Hughes    -- 02-27-2014 @ 7:18 AM
  Everything seems to fit you mentioned in your reply,
The one thing that is puzzling me is that when I pulled the old chrome off the doors and quarters and fenders the dark bluish color represents a Ford Bimini Blue as near as I can tell. The upholstery matches exactly along everything else you mentioned.
Vin number on Ford Scripted data tag to the left reads:
BOSP178088............

deluxe40    -- 02-27-2014 @ 11:02 AM
  The color code for Bimini Blue Metallic (after May 12) was "C", so maybe I had the color and interior codes reversed. The color code does follow the body code in the book. However, that leaves the "F" to explain and F would indicate a Red & Black all leather interior, which doesn't seem likely.

rotorwrench    -- 02-27-2014 @ 4:24 PM
  A lot of respray jobs left a lot to be desired and still do sometimes. I would suggest searching in trunk area or in some door jam areas that don't always get coated in an average respray. Not too many paint & body shops take the time to remove every little item for a spray job but some may have. There is usually some spray under the door trim panels and even on the floors around the edges of the inside of the body.

This message was edited by rotorwrench on 2-27-14 @ 4:25 PM

trjford8    -- 02-27-2014 @ 6:12 PM
  Remove the door sill plates and you will usually find the original color.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7068