Topic: Meet question

40guy    -- 02-25-2014 @ 1:57 PM
  Did the club change the rule on hotel registration for a National Meet? I know there was a period where you had to be registered for the meet before you could book your hotel room. Does anyone know the current policy concerning this.

Kens 36    -- 02-25-2014 @ 2:42 PM
  40guy,

The policy on hotel registration is set by the group hosting the meet and is typically based on the contract they have with the meet hotel. You will see it done both ways. For the 2014 Central Meet we are requiring meet registration first. This is intended to ensure that members registering for the meet get first shot at available rooms.

There have been some unfortunate situations in the past where folks grabbed up all the rooms, never registered for the meet, then cancelled their rooms at the last minute. This has a significant financial impact on the hosting group since we have to guarantee a certain number of rooms in order to get meeting rooms and other facilities at the hotel.

Ken

trjford8    -- 02-25-2014 @ 5:54 PM
  In addition to Kens information, when people block a group of rooms and then cancel at the last minute it cheats others out of staying at the host hotel.
From a personal point of view I think that you should have to be registered first and then you can get a room. I also feel that it should be one room per registration, so others have a chance to stay at the host hotel. It really bothers me when people get a room ,don't register for the meet, but show up for the "freebies". We don't need "freeloaders" attending our meets.

40guy    -- 02-26-2014 @ 8:19 AM
  I have always registered AND shown a car at every Meet I've ever been to. So, trjford8 I'm not sure what you mean by "freebies". Could you expound upon that a little?

1934 Ford    -- 02-26-2014 @ 4:58 PM
  The question is not only at V8 meets, it's everywhere.
The "me first" of today approach fills hotel rooms at all events in and out of the hobby.
Various methods have partially worked over the years, but the me first attitude finds ways to win.
It's ashame because people stay away when they can't get reservations near the action. Maybe blocking the rooms with a reservation code for registrants would work, but it's a hard sell for the hotel because they've agreed to many extras like comp rooms and hospitality or meeting rooms.

1934 Ford's since 1972

trjford8    -- 02-27-2014 @ 7:57 AM
  40 guy, my apologies if my post was not clear. Those that register for a meet deserve everything that is offered at the meet including any items that are free and offered by the hosting group. Registration fees help defray the costs of trophies, rental fees on certain equipment at the hotel(microphones, screens for presentations, podiums, etc.), some items in the tour bags, parking lot security, etc.
Those that get a room and do not register are the ones who hang around the meet looking for "freebies" such as attending some of the free events. They take rooms at the host hotel from those that have paid the registration fee and are actually supporting the meet and the hosting Regional Group.
We all like to think that our fellow V-8ers are honest and support the club in the events that we have produced over the years. Unfortunately there is a certain percent(just like everywhere else in society)that look for ways to do things without paying.
Here's an example; we have had to resort to using tickets for the judge's breakfast. In the years past the honor system allowed the judges to come to the breakfast and have a free breakfast for the volunteer work they performed on the field. Over time we were finding that people would come to the breakfast , eat the free food and disappear. Shabby behavior, but it was happening, so we had to start using a ticket system for entry into the breakfast.
I realize that the word "freeloader" may be a little harsh, but after working on several meets this behavior gets under my skin. The "freeloaders" are a small minority, but they can sure make things tough on hosting groups and those that pay the registration fee.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 2-27-14 @ 7:59 AM

40guy    -- 02-27-2014 @ 8:44 AM
  Thanks guys for the replies. triford8: since you cited some examples I don't think the word freeloader is too harsh. { I would just call them bums }. I guess I'm just too trusting because to try to eat a free judges for example never crossed my mind. I was raised to pay your own way. If you don't work for it; you don't get it. Anyway; the reason I asked the question in the first place was in reading over the Gettysburg info there was no mention of having to be registered before obtaining a room. I was intending on bringing my car of course and yes I am one who was not able to get into the host hotel because of the " me firsts " in the past.

JM    -- 03-03-2014 @ 7:00 PM
  See if you can get on a waiting list at the host hotel in case someone cancels there reservations. I know a friend who recently stopped in at the host hotel because he happened to be in the area. Two rooms in the V-8 Clubs block of rooms were available because of cancelations.
I know it's always nice to be at the host hotel, but keep in mind there are several other hotels in the same area that will give you the same rates that were negotiated with the host hotel. The chairmen and co-chairmen for the Gettysburg ENM have provided their contact information in the registration package that's available on this forum. I would suggest you give them a call.

John

murphy1936    -- 03-07-2014 @ 9:01 PM
  Badges are meant to keep those not registered out of all events and social gatherings such as welcome room. You can get room using information on registration form without registering first . Many do that because it takes time through mailings for forms to get there. Additionally, you want to be sure to be at the host hotel if at all possible. John41

Super Deluxe 41

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7065