Topic: Distributor caps '32-'41, '42, '46-'48

kubes40    -- 02-23-2014 @ 10:05 AM
  I think most are familiar with the three design variations of distributor
caps / terminal plates during the flathead years.
1932 - 1941 were identical, requiring a pair of outer caps and inner terminal plates. Although a tad difficult to assemble properly, this task can be performed fairly quickly with a little experience.
Along comes 1942 with not only a newly designed distributor but a new distributor cap. Often called a "crab" cap, this design was without question the easiest to install as there were no longer outer caps and inner terminal plates.
Then, the third and final design was utilized throughout 1946 - 1948. Once again an outer cap and inner terminal cap were required. And, again, the process of assembling this was quite the task. I would say, perhaps arguably, more of a task than the '32 - '41 design.
So, the question is: "Does anyone know why Ford did away with the '42 crab style cap with its inherent simplicity after only one year"?
Even on an industrial level (mass production) the time and subsequent cost required to produce, assemble and install the last design had to be significantly increased over the '42 style.

deuce_roadster    -- 02-23-2014 @ 11:29 AM
  My inner caps on my 40 have a 68- part numbers. I'm pretty sure the 32-36 ones are different. Not relevant to your question though. I believe making the unit more water proof was the reason for the 42 being a 1 year only deal.

Stroker    -- 02-23-2014 @ 11:44 AM
  Mike:

As an old "reformed" hot-rodder, I never used anything but a 42 "crab" cap until I got the restoration bug in later life. To this day, the best high-performance flathead ignition systems, such as MSD use the crab cap, as did the legendary Harmon & Collins racing magneto's in the 50's. It has always been my understanding that Ford went "retrograde" in 1946 with the inner-outer cap in an effort to make the cap more water resistant, although I've never experience moisture issues with the 42 caps on my 32 or 38.

Dan

ken ct.    -- 02-23-2014 @ 1:14 PM
  Crab caps can be effectively water proof by using rubber nipples on the legs. 32 I was told do not have a center post in the outer caps nor a locating tab like the 33 to 41. OMO. ken ct.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7058