Topic: Rear-end Ratio Marking

Drbrown    -- 02-11-2014 @ 3:49 PM
  Remember someone talking about where to look on a differential housing for markings indicating the rear-end gear ratio. My search did not find the discussion.

Would like to know where to look on my '47 Ford. If someone changed the rear-end, could they have retained the existing differential housing - thus negating any factory markings on the housing ?

I did read some discussions about how to field-test the drive train to figure out the installed ratio, but thought I'd ask about the markings first.

Thanks, Dan

David J    -- 02-11-2014 @ 4:48 PM
  On 33-34 rears it is stamped into the center rib on the bottom front of the center section . Most common being 9-37 for 4.11 ratio . No clue on newer stuff like yours but it is worth a look .

Drbrown    -- 02-11-2014 @ 6:48 PM
  Thanks David J .... I have a strange situation back there; different for your vintage. "Classic Car Data ... " says my 1947 Ford Super DeLuxe V8 Series 79A has a 3.54 ratio rear end. But take a look at my attachment. There is no "back plate" on the DIFF. The DIFF is shaped like a round drum that is oriented parallel to the rear wheels. And in front of it is an 8 inch torque tube spacer which then connects to a Borg-warner R10B-1G OD. Someone installed a nice OD assemly here and I find it hard to believe a 3.54 rear end would be coupled with it. Also, off the line without OD my first gear pretty much reaches its limit at 15 mph and second gear isn't for the long-haul either. So I would speculate that with an OD, I might have a 4.11 rear end. When the snow melts I'll do the rotation calculation test. Thanks for responding.

David J    -- 02-11-2014 @ 7:03 PM
  Same basic setup through 1948. Look on the rib on the bottom of the center section just behind the torque tube . That's where it is on 33-34 .

Drbrown    -- 02-11-2014 @ 7:43 PM
  Same ? That's good to hear. Will check. thanks

Norm    -- 02-12-2014 @ 8:52 AM
  Here's a picture of a '48.

alanwoodieman    -- 02-12-2014 @ 10:31 AM
  overdrive, do you know what kind it is and could you post a few pictures of it, Thx's

supereal    -- 02-12-2014 @ 3:28 PM
  There are important things to know befpre installing an aftermarket overdrive. They are the rear end gearing, and the amount of reduction available with the OD. I have a 3-78 rear in my '47 convertible.. I installed a 33 percent OD, which is fine at over 45-50 mph on the hiway. In town, it is too much, and must be shut off. It is likely a similar OD would be a poor choice with a 3-54 rear with a similar rear. The object is to have the engine running about 2500 rpm, the "power point", in OD to run 60-70 on the open hiway, yet have decent power in town traffic.

flatheadfan    -- 02-12-2014 @ 4:48 PM

Another view of the rear axle marking on a '46 Ford.

Tom

Drbrown    -- 02-12-2014 @ 6:01 PM
  Thanks to Norm and Flatheadfan - those photos really help. Attaching photos of the Borg-Warner R10-1G OD. Casing also has the markings "SB3" and "2 J152" but have not found anyone who knows what those indicate. Installation looks very professional. Did the factory or Dealers ever install B-W units ? I have not checked rpm vs. mph when engaged yet.

Drbrown    -- 02-12-2014 @ 6:04 PM
  Here's Drivers side again but shows torque tube filler and DIFF to right.

supereal    -- 02-13-2014 @ 12:47 PM
  I've never seen an adaptation like that one. Either is was a limited production, or someone did a good job of making it. Most, such as the Mitch*ll and my Ryan, are shifted by cable. The B/W would certainly be a step up, but would require a lockout cable and special wiring, such as the kick down switch. I've considered adapting a vacuum or electric shift from a truck two speed axle, but the cable is fine for the limited use it gets.

Drbrown    -- 02-13-2014 @ 5:43 PM
  I compared this B-W set up to the standard Ford OD wiring diagram and its essentially the same. This B-W has the typical manual lock-out/lock-in cable to the dash, and a toggle switch to activate it. There is no kick-down switch - guess someone decided they didn't need it. Someone said it looks like an installation done by a fellow named "Young" in Ohio .... they have old contact info re him and are trying to connect. This car came out of CA but to me from a person in Mars PA which is next to Ohio.

Drbrown    -- 02-13-2014 @ 7:57 PM
  Anyone know if Lloyd E Young, 4915 Lithopolis Winchester Rd, Canal Winchester, OH 43110 (614) 837-7832 is still building overdrives ?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7016