Topic: Tires

39FORDPU    -- 02-10-2014 @ 4:54 PM
  I would like to get new tires this year, the ones on my 39 pickup are the ones that were on it when I bought it in 1984. I would like to stay with the stock rims but go with radials, can this be done? do I need inner tubes? Any tires better than others? After reading about old tires I thought I'd better get new ones, mine are hard and feel like their petrified. Thank You for any info.

supereal    -- 02-10-2014 @ 5:30 PM
  The usual recommendation is to replace tires older than 6-7 years due to the deterioration of the rubber, mostly due to natural ozone, regardless of the amount of tread left. This is probably wise if you are driving at or near today's hiway speeds. For seldom or lightly driven vehicles, i have always felt that the suggestion was a bit stringent, on the other side, if you plan to stay with the original type of bias ply tires, new ones will surprise you with a better ride, and almost no flat spotting. Radials generally require suspension in top condition to reduce wandering. I don't use them, as I prefer the original profile, and they tend to be pricey. Installing tubes my reduce the advantage of radials softer ride, but may be necessary if older wheels have rusted beads or spokes. You might obtain a catalog from Coker Tires to compare costs and recommendations aside from my, and the view of others.

JM    -- 02-10-2014 @ 9:52 PM
  I have two sets of radial tires mounted on original '35 16" wires. One set is 600x16 Coker www and the other set is 750x16 rear, 550x16 front smoothed blackwalls by Diamondback.They made a huge difference in ride and handling vs. the bias ply tires that were on my '35 fordor sedan. I also have tubes rated for use in radial tires in both sets. Personally, I would never consider going back to bias ply tires but that is just my opinion.

John

This message was edited by JM on 2-10-14 @ 9:54 PM

TomO    -- 02-11-2014 @ 7:24 AM
  At more than $100 per tire difference, I do not see the value in the radial tire for the few miles that I drive in the summer.

You should use tubes in the 1939 wheels with any tire that you buy. The rims do not have the extra little hump to seat the bead properly.

Tom

Grant    -- 02-11-2014 @ 9:27 AM
  Here's my two cents worth........

Our 1952 Ranch Wagon has been run on belted G78-15 tires for 25 years without any problems. Did have one flat at right rear........which was lots of fun, because most of the air had to be let out of the spare before the too-wide G78 would fit up into the wheel well. With a wife and two kids watching, leaning on a farmer's fence on the other side of the Highway 4 ditch. Lesson learned......using correct 6.70 or 7.10 tires would have been a better idea.

And our 1951 convertible has 6.70/15 Goodyear Super Cushion belted tires. Great on the highway or around town. One issue.....not much good in a muddy rural springtime lane. Lots of spinning, and two very dirty quarter panels behind the rear wheel wells. But any narrow tire, belted or radial, would probably have equally poor mud-bogging traction.

With respect to radials, our '36 roadster was using a set of 6.00R16 Coker Classics when it was driven to three National Meets. Distance travelled was over 10,000 miles, and the Cokers rode and drove very well. Nice rubber. But I've bought five new Firestone Deluxe Champion 6.00-16 belted tires for that car and mounted them on a separate set of wide five rims. Because, with the utmost respect to those who would disagree, the radials just don't look right.

39FORDPU    -- 02-11-2014 @ 3:12 PM
  There are 38,000 original miles on the truck so I feel the suspention is still good. I only put about 400 miles a year on so I think I'll stay with the Bias-ply. Thank You all for the input.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7009