Topic: coil shorting out

Peaches    -- 02-09-2014 @ 5:27 PM
  I have a 34 ford V8 Phaeton. Have ignition problem. I have had two original style dome coils short out. Thought that they may have been bad. I have converted to a standard 6 volt coil and car is starting now, however after running for only s few minutes I touch the new coil and is heating up and becoming very hot. It appears that the other two coils most likely had the same problem and I turned of engine before this one shorted out. What could be the problem, amp meter is not showing any out of ordinary voltage. Help!!

alanwoodieman    -- 02-09-2014 @ 5:42 PM
  check to see if the ignition resister has been by-passed putting full voltage to the coil-this will cause the coil to get hot and eventually burn out-the resister is under the dash on the firewall.. send an original coil to Skip Haney is Fla and have him rebuild it-his coils work like a charm and the engine loves the hot spark.

Peaches    -- 02-09-2014 @ 5:55 PM
  Thanks for your help. What would I need to look for to see if it has been by passed. Due you and an email address or phone number for gentleman in Florida?

Gary

sunflower    -- 02-10-2014 @ 5:20 AM
  www.fordcollector.com

David J    -- 02-10-2014 @ 6:15 AM
  There should be a unit like this mounted on the inside of your firewall directly in front of your speedometer . It will be in plain sight and the silver thing on the left is the resistor . Like already mentioned if it is not there or not properly hooked up you will burn out coils regularly .

Peaches    -- 02-10-2014 @ 9:49 AM
  Thanks for your help. I have located resistor and have found it being strapped.

David J    -- 02-10-2014 @ 12:41 PM
  Coil life should improve now .

Peaches    -- 02-10-2014 @ 6:07 PM
  David, many thanks for the help. I think I have my problem solved. I will be sending two coils to Skip for repair.

David J    -- 02-10-2014 @ 6:54 PM
  You're welcome and enjoy your 34 . I drive the daylights out of my 33 - well in warmer times anyway .

Larry Lange    -- 02-14-2014 @ 10:42 AM
  If things get bad again with your ignition, consider switching to a Standard brand UC-14 coil. This don't take resistors, so you can bypass the resistor you have. I installed one of these coils after I started having trouble keeping my 59A flathead running. So far, so good....good starting after with the engine hot.

Larry / Seattle

Peaches    -- 02-14-2014 @ 5:39 PM
  Thanks for the advice! Will try this if other does not work.
Gary

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=7005