Topic: 351W

toupin68    -- 01-28-2010 @ 12:42 PM
  While i was restoring the body of a Bronco 68, the frame, motor and drive train were sitting outside for almost a year. Now that everything is back together the motor wont start, I started by replacing all old wires and an old Holley ignition box with a remote by a MSD 6AL one. Now i hav fire at the plugs, the carb is pushing gas in the intake but no explosion. I checked to see if the plugs are wet and they are all dry. I remove the valve cover and all valves and in oil with no rust from sitting and all moves as they are supposed.
What is causing the fuel not to reach the plugs?
Thanks
Steve

Stroker    -- 01-28-2010 @ 1:56 PM
  I think you have Windsor Squirrels which have stored their nuts for the winter in the intake passages. Simply remove the manifold and dump them out. Big Block Chevy's have the same problem,
only in that case they are Rats.

trjford8    -- 01-28-2010 @ 7:24 PM
  This is only a thought, but when I let my propane heater sit for a long time and then try to get it started I cannot get propane to the heater head. What I found was small spiders weave a very tight web in the orfice of the heater and it will not let the propane into the head.I know it sounds crazy , but a friend who owns an RV repair shop tippped me off to the problem. Maybe you have the same problem? You might also try some starting fluid. If it still won't start you need to pull the intake and check the ports.
I know Stroker hit you with his funny answer, but it is possible that the ports could be clogged with nests from mice.If you live in a cold climate mice will look for any place to build a nest to keep warm.

supereal    -- 01-29-2010 @ 12:40 PM
  Are you sure that what is reaching the carb is actually gas? It is not unusual to find that condensation and/or rain water etc has infiltrated the system and will not atomize or burn. A few squirts of starting fluid (ether) or some propane into the intake should tell you if that is the problem.

Stroker    -- 01-29-2010 @ 2:52 PM
  If the ether "test" doesn't do it, one more thing might be to check the ignition timing before
you resort to pulling the manifold. If, in the course of replacing the ignition, the timing of the distributor, or the firing order of the plug wires got disturbed, you might be firing plugs
at the wrong time in the 4-stroke cycle. I'd double check the last thing you did first. And,
I hope you weren't offended by the "Windsor Squirrels" comment. I have had several occasions, where
"critters" have created havoc when no one was watching.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=700