Topic: Best Spark Plug

Lenny    -- 02-03-2014 @ 1:05 PM
  I'll be putting new plugs into my 37 soon
With the standard Champ. 7 plug I get a little carbon fouling.
Will a copper top or platinum plug give better results?
Thanks

supereal    -- 02-03-2014 @ 7:41 PM
  Fouling usually means either a too rich fuel mixture or oil. Both will produce a black deposit. With my '47, I use the Champion RJ 14 YC. They have a long snout that doesn't tend to foul like the H-10.
You could go to a hotter plug, but if your exhaust smoke is black, check the carb float level, and the power valve for leakage. If the smoke is bluish, stuck or worn piston rings and/or loose valve guides could be at fault. I'd run a dry/wet compression test. Fouled plugs are a symptom, and different plugs will likely still foul if the cause isn't pinned down.

oldford2    -- 02-04-2014 @ 5:36 AM
  Bob,
What is a good way to check the power valve? Thanks
John

1934 Ford    -- 02-04-2014 @ 6:09 AM
  For the best performance in my 21 stud engines, I use the Autolite 386 plugs. Far better performance than the Champion D-16's. If you are going for judging, you may loose points, but for driving, use the Autolite 386's.
No proof, but my experience was that the D-16's fouled easily if I accidently flooded them. Once gas fouled, they never were the same again. Just my opinion.

1934 Ford's since 1972

supereal    -- 02-04-2014 @ 12:14 PM
  John: With the carb bowl full of fuel, remove it from the manifold and set it on some paper overnight. If there is an internal leak, it should be evident. If your '37 has a Stromberg 97 carb, the power valve is in the bottom of the accelerator pump bore. When the throttle is opened to a predetermined position, the pump piston makes contact with the power valve, holding the valve open, permitting fuel to flow thru the valve and into the pump discharge nozzles. If you are unfamiliar with the 97 carb, it is best to have someone work on it, as they can be tricky, and special tools are required.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6977