Topic: 36 Head Identification

rstefani59    -- 02-01-2014 @ 3:12 PM
  I have a 36 Cabriolet with a standard engine in it that has a date tag that has been attached to the head.
See attached pictures.

Does anyone know the significance of the date tag?

Thanks

kubes40    -- 02-01-2014 @ 3:25 PM
  Not really "attached" but rather it was cast simultaneously with the head.
This was an insert placed in the cope or drag (top or bottom) of the casting box. It simply was a method used to track when (and often times where) the head was produced.
In your case, it clearly shows it was made long after your car (a service - replacement part) and as such would be a certain point of deduction upon a concourse.

David J    -- 02-01-2014 @ 10:31 PM
  Also the 40- prefix means it is for flat-top pistons . And this of course means you probably have flat-top pistons . They don't turn over well with domed pistons and flat heads . Like already pointed out it isn't factory correct but probably works fine . Many can do a better job on describing 48- & 68- heads and I will leave that for them .

Stroker    -- 02-01-2014 @ 11:07 PM
  Mike: Wouldn't the "tag" actually be scr*w*d to the pattern, and then the reverse image become impressed in the cope? Since it is part of the resulting cast part, if its' presence creates a major points problem, why not simply grind it off? I'll obviously never be an event judge, but if a service replacement part is correct for the application, I'd think it should be allowed.

kubes40    -- 02-02-2014 @ 5:46 AM
  Stroker, you are correct of course in how that plate was attached to the mold (half). Obviously, they were made to be replaced easily.
As far as allowing them on the concourse, well, the vehicle is supposed to be judged as to how it came off the assembly line. Service parts certainly fit and worked but too often did not have the same appearance.
If a part does not have the same appearance as was present at the time of assembly, it's wrong.

ford38v8    -- 02-02-2014 @ 12:12 PM
  Dan, Service replacements are certainly allowed on the Concourse, but as Mike points out, they are wrong, there is only one definition for wrong, and they will draw a point deduction.

Consider two cars on the Concourse, one with a bunch of Service Replacements, the other as Henry Built it. There must be recognition of originality, or what's the point of the Concourse?

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6971