Topic: 1936 Fordor

pinnsky    -- 01-31-2014 @ 8:53 AM
  I recently purchased a 1936 Fordor and have a couple of questions:
Does anyone have a copy of the instruction sheet for a Fram F485 oil filter. I bought a NOS one that fits 34-40, but there are no instructions. I have an idea, but if possible I would like a copy.
One of my horns is missing and I won't receive the car until April and I would like to find one. I know it is a Sparton C8, does anyone have a picture or dimensions?
Thanks, Tom

Don Rogers    -- 01-31-2014 @ 11:17 AM
  Here's an exploded view of a 36 horn.

pinnsky    -- 01-31-2014 @ 5:52 PM
  Thanks Don, that's exactly what I needed.
Tom

TomO    -- 02-01-2014 @ 7:40 AM
  Here are the instructions on installing a late 1940 oil filter. This type of filter was not available in 1936.

The hoses shown in the drawing are difficult to find, so many people adding a filter use the 46-48 oil filter installation procedures, that require changing the dipstick oil pan boss to one that includes a spot for the return line.

I decided to not install a filter on my engine. They are a mess to change and should be changed with every oil change. I change my oil every 1,000 miles and when I store it for the winter. The filter is a bypass type and its main advantage is to add additional oil to help cool the engine.

See the other discussion on oil filters in this Forum for other ideas about the filter.

Tom

pinnsky    -- 02-01-2014 @ 2:23 PM
  Thanks for the info.
Tom

40 Coupe    -- 02-02-2014 @ 8:01 AM
  36 was the first year for Ford to offer an ACCESSORY oil filter. Not many cars were equipped with one. It is Made by AC and appears much different than the Fram that first appeared on Ford cars (also as an accessory) in 1940. With todays oils and change intervals and the distance we drive our cars, you may want to reconsider installing the filter.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6965