Topic: Rear window motor (6V) test - 4 wire motor

Merc Cruzer    -- 01-27-2014 @ 8:25 PM
  I want to test the motor (6V) on a 6 volt battery. The 4 leads are red, black, white and green.

Black to pos (+)

Red to neg (-)

White to ?

Green to ?

supereal    -- 01-28-2014 @ 4:08 PM
  Most window motors are reversible to run the window both ways. Without a diagram, I would expect one wire probably green, to be the motor ground, the black to be to the center of the switch, with white and red to be to each end of the switch, on to the windings. Red is used as a positive, with black as a negative conection. Many window motors receive heir power at the switch. With an ohmeter, you may get a better oidea. I looked in my '53 shop manual, but didn't find power windows.

Merc Cruzer    -- 01-28-2014 @ 5:13 PM
  I posted this same question on the Ford and the Mercury forums. TomO replied from the Mercury forum:

The best way to test the motor is to hook it up to the relay and switch for window motor switch.

If you do not have a switch and relay you will have to use trial and error to find out which wires need to be connected together.

The wires should be color coded black, red,yellow and green.

The black wire goes to ground, red and yellow are probably the brush wires and green is the other field wire.

Check this out with an ohm meter, the meter connected to the black and green wires should read around 0 ohms and not change when the motor is turned by hand, The meter connected to the red and yellow wires should read around 0 ohms but it will fluctuate when the motor is turned by hand.

If the above readings are what you have, connect the yellow and red leads together and the green lead to the neg battery terminal and the black wire to the pos terminal. The motor should run in one direction.

If the readings are different, you will have to determine which wires go to the field and wich go to the armature or brushes.

Tom

Thanks again TomO

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6954