Topic: Ford Clock

rgiles    -- 01-25-2014 @ 12:22 PM
  I have what appears to be an in dash ford clock. I wish I could post a picture but not able to at this time. I will try to describe it. First of all it is a wind up. Does have numbers in black with gold back ground Center is white with ford script. No oval. Knob is at 6 o'clock position. Clock is round and a little larger than the gauges in my 35. I know this is not much info. When did ford stop using a wind up clock? It is to cold and windy to work in the garage. Just looking for something to do. Thanks Dick

Drbrown    -- 01-25-2014 @ 12:50 PM
  I have not heard of a wind-up Ford clock but attached is photo showing '40s Ford Speedometer (on left) and electric clock (on right). My '47 Ford looks like the electric clock on right. The Merc and Lincoln dials of that vintage are similar but used different dial background styles and colors.

However, the previous owner of my Ford removed the electric core of the clock and concealed a small craft/hobby shop type clock mechinizium that uses a single AA battery. He keep the Ford dial face but could not use the Ford hand-indicators - looked cheap. So I bought and restored a proper '40s electric Ford clock.

An advantage of a wind-up clock is no drain (very slight) on battery when car not running. I disconnect my car battery when not using the car anyway so that's not a problem - just have to reset the time if I want.

American engineering and forged steel continues to ride the highways.

42wagon    -- 01-25-2014 @ 1:12 PM
  According to the 41-48 Ford book wind up clocks were used until the end in 48 with electric clocks available as an accessory from 46 on. The clock face changed from year to year to match the speedometer face. The one for 42 was white with gold bands and black letters. The hands were red. The clock was wind up and the knob is at the six o'clock position. The clock does have a provision for a light bulb to illuminate it.

42guy    -- 01-25-2014 @ 4:02 PM
  Yes my 42 has a wind up clock as described by 42 wagon.

TomO    -- 01-26-2014 @ 8:28 AM
  Here is a copy of the clock article from the V-8 Times that may help you identify the clock.

Tom

TomO    -- 01-26-2014 @ 8:44 AM
  For some reason that photo did not post correctly. Here is another try

Tom

TomO    -- 01-26-2014 @ 9:40 AM
  3rd and last try

Tom

rgiles    -- 01-26-2014 @ 1:43 PM
  42 discribed it well. Mine does have black hands. I guess nailing it down to a year might not happen. Thanks everyone for the input. Dick

Drbrown    -- 01-26-2014 @ 4:37 PM
  This isn't going to annswer your specific question but just more misc info .... of the clocks I've seen, they all have the knob at the 6'oclock position. Its either a combo wind-up and dial setting knob, or its a plain dial setting knob if the clock is electric. The attached photo is the back of an electric but what might be interesting is that the stampings say "The Geo. W. Borg Comp. Chicago Ill USA" .... (because its electric) "Use only 3 amp fuse".

Compared to my Ford electric, the back of the electric in this photo has a different style fast-slow adjustment dial.

Also, the back of my ford electric says "Pat'd U.S.A. 2279015" "Made by Westclox, La Salle Ill USA" "Ford (inscript) Made in USA"

So obviousely Ford was using clocks from various manufacturers.

What does your clock say on the back ?

American engineering and forged steel continues to ride the highways.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 1-26-14 @ 4:38 PM

TomO    -- 01-27-2014 @ 7:17 AM
  Here is another try at posting the photo.

Tom

Big Red 51    -- 01-28-2014 @ 3:46 AM
  I had an original wind up clock in my '54 Ford Victoria. Still working.
Don

juergen    -- 01-28-2014 @ 5:28 AM
  These are images of 37 wind up and electric clocks. They are a little bigger than your 35 gauges. I know that they are the same for 38 and 39 except that the faces complement the speedometer faces. I don't know of 35 or 36. The 40 was rectangular

juergen    -- 01-28-2014 @ 5:30 AM
  I guess only one image takes. So here is the front

rgiles    -- 01-28-2014 @ 7:16 AM
  My clock says the same as yours, Made by Westclox, LaSalle, Ill,, USA Ford [inscript] Made in USA . Sorry can not read the pat. numbers. Dick

TomO    -- 01-28-2014 @ 9:19 AM
  Here is another try at posting the photo, I made the name shorter.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 1-28-14 @ 9:20 AM

Drbrown    -- 01-29-2014 @ 9:10 AM
  TomO .... Nice display in your attachment of Ford clocks thru the years. My electric '47 is at the extreme lower right. With an antique clock repair hobbist looking over my shoulder, I'm cleaning and rebuilding the clock. The outside was a mess when I bought it. The clock mechanism must be insulated from the body of the clock so the twin solenoids inside can activate a swinging arm that winds the crank-pin. The tiny rubber grommets that insulated the parts fell apart when I opened it, so I'm making replacements out of vinyl tubing. Brushed and polished, it now looks as good from the back as the front. Good winter project. Taking photos.

TomO    -- 01-29-2014 @ 4:31 PM
  That picture is a copy of a page in the V-8 Times article from 1989. The clock collection depicted in the photos is now on display at the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum in Auburn, IN. The collection also includes the Mercury clocks for the flathead years.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6950