Topic: Final rewire questions on '36 Tudor

w1spurgeon    -- 01-27-2010 @ 11:41 AM
  I've got all the harnesses installed as per the diagrams that came with them. Got problems completing the wiring due to changes by previous owner. HELP!!!

1. I have a wire that is supposed to go to the cutout. Don't have a cutout. Where does this wire go?

2. I have a voltage reg mounted on the firewall, but after completing the OEM wiring I have no wires going there. Also, before installing the new harnesses, there were 3 wires connected to the back of the generator, now there are none. Can someone tell me how these things should be wired?

3. I bought a new OEM starter switch and restored it to the original floor mount (previous owner had wired in a button on the dash). After completing the wiring, I have only one wire on the starter switch, running to the hot side of the battery and on to the "battery" post on the solenoid. Where does the other side of the starter switch connect to.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

supereal    -- 01-27-2010 @ 12:57 PM
  If you have a 2 brush generator (the type without the cutout) Connect wires from the armature terminal and the field terminal to the respective terminals on the regulator. We like to also run a ground wire from the generator to the ground lug on the regulator. The battery terminal on the regulator should be sent to the ammeter (usually a heavy yellow wire) and then to the battery thru the system. The starter button usually finds ground for the solenoid thru the body of the button. If you need a wiring diagram, I'll dig one up for you. Between the usual hitches in a new wiring loom, and changes made by God-knows-who, getting back to the stock form can be a challenge.

flatheadfan    -- 01-27-2010 @ 1:25 PM
  Supereal is correct. Basically you need two (possibly three) wires from the regulator to the generator, FLD, GRD and ARM. The field terminal is on the regulator and the ground wire usually attaches to the frame of the regulator not a terminal tang. Both of these terminals on are the the side of the generator. Note some later Ford two-brush generators do not have a GRD terminal on the side of the generator. In that case you only need to deal with the field and armature wires. The post on the back of the generator (ARM) goes to the ARM terminal on the regulator. This should be a heavy wire 12g or better. The heavy yellow wire that would normally go to the cut out now connects to the BAT terminal on the regulator. Finally to get everything to work you need to "polarize" the generator. To do this just touch the BAT wire to the FLD terminal (don't use a jumper wire, disconnect and touch) on the regulator and you should be good to go.

Tom

TomO    -- 01-28-2010 @ 8:06 AM
  Your starter switch should have 2 wires and the battery connected to one side and the starter motor connected to the other side.

The 2 wires should be yellow and one of them goes through the loop on the ammeter to the fuse holder and the other goes to the horns.

See VanPelts site for the wiring diagram.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_images/FH_electrical-pics/Flathead_Electrical_wirediagram1936car.jpg

Tom

w1spurgeon    -- 01-30-2010 @ 12:45 PM
  Tom -

I'm have trouble matching your description with the picture you included. On the reg I see the ARM wire (green, the FLD wire (red), and the GRD wire (gray). At the generator the red wire goes to the top post (FLD), the green wire goes to the bottom post (ARM?) and the gray wire appears to go to the back post (GRN?). Is this correct? Incidently, the generator on my car looks exactly like the one in your picture.

This message was edited by w1spurgeon on 1-30-10 @ 12:48 PM

supereal    -- 01-30-2010 @ 3:07 PM
  As long as the connections between the generator and the regulator are correct, the color of the wire in between isn't important. We stick with the accepted use of green wire for ground.

deluxe40    -- 01-30-2010 @ 5:22 PM
  W1spurgeon - be careful here. I don't think you have it right in your most recent note. The ARM terminal is on the BACK of the generator. Thus, your green wire should go there, while your gray wire from GND goes on the bottom terminal on the side of the generator. Re=read flatheadfan's note above, he has it right. (Hooking the ARM terminal to ground could have undesirable results.)

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=695