Topic: V8 valve noise

cliftford    -- 01-25-2014 @ 5:11 AM
  When I rebuilt my 59AB, I ground the seats properly, 3 angles,refaced the valves,lapped them in, then set clearances to .011 on intakes and .013 on exhausts. I still get some lifter noise at idle, it can be heard from the drivers' seat. Is this normal?

keith oh    -- 01-25-2014 @ 8:28 AM
  Yes it is. If you are young with good hearing then not hearing them at all might signify a problem. The older I get the quieter my engine gets, Thank heavens I can still feel the vibration though.

CharlieStephens    -- 01-25-2014 @ 9:39 AM
  Try comparing it with other flathead engines. Solid lifters make more noise than hydraulic. If they are too tight you will have problems.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 1-25-14 @ 9:40 AM

supereal    -- 01-25-2014 @ 12:37 PM
  I set the exhaust to .014 to .016, but you are close enough. Some valve noise is unavoidable in these old engines. We aways install new valve springs all around. If I put one together and it doesn't have at least one noisy valve at idle, I probably missed something. Thankfully, in most cases, the noise either goes away, or is covered by road noise as speed increases. Just drive and enjoy!

This message was edited by supereal on 1-25-14 @ 12:38 PM

cliftford    -- 01-25-2014 @ 5:38 PM
  Thanks, guys for the input. Your comments about the valve noise confirmed what I was thinking. I've been away from these engines for 50 years, but I still remember the beautiful sound of a flathead V8 running. Thanks again.

TomO    -- 01-26-2014 @ 8:17 AM
  The adjustable lifters are more noisy than the stock lifters. I suspect that it is due to the smaller surface of the contact point.

I set my lifters to .012 on the intake and .016 on the exhaust to allow for the wear and expect to hear the lifter noise at idle.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6949