Topic: 1934 Ford Roadster Floor Mat

garryfp    -- 01-19-2014 @ 1:46 PM
  Where can I buy a good taupe color floor mat for my 34 Roadster. The suppliers seem to be out of stock. Some say there is a quality problem with the supplier.
Thanks
Garry

supereal    -- 01-19-2014 @ 2:36 PM
  They have been saying that for a very long time. The basic issue seems to revolve around the definition of "taupe". Some were produced with a greenish cast, others were too light or dark. I have one in my '47 convertible that came from Carpenter years ago. It is more tan than expected, but close enough for me. No supplier wants to spend big bucks for a run of mats until they are sure that the result will be universally accepted.

johnschultz    -- 01-20-2014 @ 11:14 AM
  Happy with my 34 phaeton front floor mat (includes seperate mat around floor shift) from Carpenter.

garryfp    -- 01-20-2014 @ 4:57 PM
  Thanks to both of you who responded.
I took your advice and ordered a front floor mat and rumble seat floor mat from Dennis Carpenter today.
Garry

carguy    -- 01-23-2014 @ 3:52 PM
  Please let us know how you like the Carpenter floor mat. I need one for my '34 cabriolet. Thanks

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

Robert/Texas    -- 01-24-2014 @ 10:25 AM
  I've been wondering about the quality of these too. About 3 years ago I bought one for my '34 roadster from another vendor. I was unpleasantly surprised that the color was so greenish but more so as to how thin the rubber was. The mat was sent to me folded and with creases in each of the folds. I left it out in the hot Texas sun hoping that it would lose these creases. In the meantime I installed the small part that goes over the gearshift lever. Although the creases would not come out I installed the mat anyway. It looked so bad that I replaced it with the old (thick) mat after a couple of months. The new mat has been laying over the arm on my engine hoist for all this time it still has these creases.

I would consider buying one of the Carpenter mats but for $160 plus freight I don't want to get stuck again. I too would like to hear more about this.

Thanks, Robert

OLDTMR    -- 01-25-2014 @ 6:14 AM
  Regarding floor mats I realize there are several vendors that I imagine are selling the same product from one source. I need to replace the one in my 40 and wondered if tan or black was correct (tan now) for deluxe and who has the best one as well as price ?

deuce_roadster    -- 01-25-2014 @ 9:04 AM
  OLDTMR,
Kube has stated that ALL 40s should have a Benton Gray floor mat. (V8 and Deluxe) Carpenter now offers a Benton Gray mat (I have one in my wagon) and while nobody can state for SURE how close it is to the original color due to originals degrading over time, he thinks what is offered today is close.
I trust Mike Kubarth's opinion as he has done EXTENSIVE research at the archives and read the engineering letters.

OLDTMR    -- 01-25-2014 @ 9:25 AM
  Thanks for your input. So you would expect carpenter to be the best place to shop for a new mat and the one you have is acceptable and very few flaws ? Thanks, OLDTMR

deuce_roadster    -- 01-25-2014 @ 10:13 AM
  My new Benton Gray mat has no flaws. Either Carpenter made a new mold or repaired the old one when he bought out the folks who used to make these mats. I think he is the only source of them.

OLDTMR    -- 01-25-2014 @ 10:30 AM
  Great news deuce. I was hoping you would say the molds were fixed as I heard most suppliers were telling folks they could ask for money back if they were not pleased. Again thanks

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6931