Topic: Window Crank Knobs

Steves46    -- 01-26-2010 @ 10:02 AM
  Since the window crank knobs on my 46 have seen their better days I thought rather than replacing the whole assembly, I could save a buck or two and just change the knob. Is there a trick to removing and changing these out or am I better off breaking the old knob off the crank handle. Any help is always appreciated!

supereal    -- 01-26-2010 @ 10:47 AM
  Good quality replacement cranks with the correct knobs are not that expensive. For your car, about $15 each at C&G. I replaced all cranks and escutcheons in my '47, as the knobs were faded and/or cracked, and the pot metal part of the cranks was a sloppy fit from years of use. The only expensive parts were the quarter window cranks for my convertible, at $50, but I felt very lucky that they were available at all.

trjford8    -- 01-26-2010 @ 7:05 PM
  I agree with Bob on the purchase of new cranks. If you do not want to spend the money then cut off(split) the old knobs and remove them from the shaft.You will have to reuse the old pin so don't damage it.

Steves46    -- 01-27-2010 @ 11:43 AM
  Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered replacement cranks w/knobs.

40fordor    -- 01-27-2010 @ 12:27 PM
  I have read the above responses to the door knob replacement but still do not understand how new ones are installed. My 40 knobs are in bad condition (crumbling) and I need to replace some of them.
Don

TomO    -- 01-28-2010 @ 8:38 AM
  Don, you need to remove the handles from the car, remove the old knobs by breaking them off of the pin. Save the pin and the wave washer if there is one. Mix a small amount of epoxy and coat the inside of the new knob with it and then press the new knob onto the pin in the handle. Some vendors supply a new pin with the knob.

Tom

40fordor    -- 01-30-2010 @ 10:35 AM
  TomO, Thanks for the explination. Knob replacement is something I have not tried but will now.
Don

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=692