Topic: 34 ford fordor door alignment

3334capn    -- 01-15-2014 @ 7:34 AM
  Need advise on getting doors to line up..proper
procedure on bolting down body etc., any help is
appreciated..tks richard

supereal    -- 01-15-2014 @ 10:28 AM
  Getting doors to fit properly is very much a "trial and error" procedure. The bodies of old Fords are surprisingly flexible, so shimming the various parts where they are attached to the frame is the solution. Have shim material, generally hardwood, and of various thickness, handy. Loosen all body mounting bolts and insert the shims until the doors fit their openings. Each time you insert a shim, all doors will be affected, so check them as you go. That is the "trial" part of the job. The "error" part is resubstituting shims until the job is complete. Recheck after that point, as tightening the mounts usually changes the alignment. If you run into problems, check the frame to see if it is bent. The last time I did this job, the car had been bent on one side of the rear, which led me to crtiticize the parentage of the guy who did
the damage! If any door hinges are sloppy, repair them before you set out.

This message was edited by supereal on 1-15-14 @ 10:31 AM

1934 Ford    -- 01-15-2014 @ 6:31 PM
  Richard,
Supereal is right, but there are other alternatives too.
On the 1998 Glidden tour in New Hampshire with our 34 Tudor, we learned about door hinges. Accelerating to 50 MPH, my drivers door caught the wind and flew open.
The force of the 50 MPH drove the door into the rear fender and bent all three hinges. They were so bent that the door barely came within a foot of closing.
We used my belt to strap the door to the windshield post and headed for the first garage. There we used a crow bar in between the hinge sides and closed the door
on it. It bent them back enough to latch the door and we were off again to finish the tour. Didn't miss anything.
When we got home to Florida we again used a wedge between the hinge plates and bent the hinges until the door lined up perfectly. I subsequently saw real body shop guys use the same method on other antique cars.
If I'd grabbed that door as it blew open, it would have pulled me right out of the car. Now you know why they call them suicide doors.

1934 Ford's since 1972

This message was edited by 1934 Ford on 1-16-14 @ 5:32 PM

3334capn    -- 01-17-2014 @ 11:17 PM
  appreciate answer..about what we been doing tks richard

3334capn    -- 01-17-2014 @ 11:21 PM
  tks..this really strange, just before I came in here and checked for a reply.. I had just put a wedge in the hinge...had the same happen to me on my 33 coupe
and you are correct don't touch the door, let her rip because you will go out...appreciate it richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6918