Topic: Firing problems

Peaches    -- 01-13-2014 @ 8:55 AM
  Went for a short ride, car running fine, stopped at stop sign, started off, changed gears and engine back fired and stopped running. Towed in. Were do I start on this V-8 flat head to check problems. These are all new to me. I have only worked on A's & T's any suggestions?

alanwoodieman    -- 01-13-2014 @ 9:02 AM
  how about identifying the engine and type of distributor
12v? 6v?
my first thought would be the coil and the ballast resister, check voltage at coil, then check under the dash for voltage at the resistor unless you have an internal resistence coil voltage at coil should be 4v max with points closed

TomO    -- 01-13-2014 @ 9:41 AM
  The year of the car would also help.

If this is one of your 34's, check to make sure that both didtributor caps are secured in place. Then I would check for spark at the plugs, you should have at least 1/4" spark while cranking the engine.

If you do not have spark, check the voltage at the input to the coil while cranking the engine. It should fluctuate between around 4 volts to 6 volts as the points open and close. If it does, then your points are good.

If you still do not have a good spark check the condenser and coil.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 1-13-14 @ 9:49 AM

Peaches    -- 01-13-2014 @ 2:19 PM
  Thanks for your help. I will check out tonight. Both of my cars are 34s. One a phaeton and 4 door sedan.

Peaches    -- 01-13-2014 @ 2:21 PM
  Thanks for your help. Car is 34 phaeton 6 volt. I will check out tonight.

joe b    -- 01-13-2014 @ 2:48 PM
  My '41 would do this. For no reason it would just shut off requiring it to be a flat head on a flatbed. When it got home everything was fine and it would fire up. Turned out to be the condenser was not bolted tight into the engine and there was a lot of old grease and dirt in the mounting hole. In addition to all you are going to do you might check this. I spent a lot of money trying to find the problem.

Peaches    -- 01-13-2014 @ 3:04 PM
  Thanks for the advice!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6912