Topic: 37 door hinge replacement

Rono    -- 01-12-2014 @ 5:13 PM
  How difficult is it to replace the 37 door hinges with the new aftermarket ones? I know the rivets have to be drilled out of the old hinges and the new hinges have a threaded backing plate. They make it sound easy, but what's the real story? I just want to know what's in store for me.
Thanks

supereal    -- 01-13-2014 @ 6:22 AM
  Replacing the door hinges on an old car is usually a nasty job, as they are almost alway rusted in place. Removing the screws requires a tool called an "impact driver" and lots of luck. If the hinges are not bent or otherwise damaged, replacing hinge pins is possible. It isn't an easy job either, but less than swapping hinges.

Rono    -- 01-13-2014 @ 6:55 AM
  I'm talking about removing the entire hinge assembly as a unit from the door, not just removing the hinge pins.

Bill Wright    -- 01-13-2014 @ 5:20 PM
  Rono,
As super explained removing and replacing any hinges is a very "Nasty" job.By indicating the hinge pin replacement may be some what easier I think he is alluding to the option that pin replacement may be a better option if your hinges aren't completely gone and may solve your problem.
Bpill

Don't Believe Everything You Think!
Bill Wright

brooks    -- 01-14-2014 @ 3:11 PM
  Rono , I replace the hinges on my 40 I 'am restoring with Bob Drake hinges very easy, just follow the instructed sheet. Only problem the lower body hinge is drill for wrong side as marked, had to switch sides and regrind angles on in side. All parts that I have got from Bob Drake I have had to make fit. Hope this infor helps.

Rono    -- 01-16-2014 @ 7:03 PM
  Brooks;
Thanks for the reply. I called Bob Drake about 2 weeks ago and they told me of the hinge pin problem. The manufacturer is working on correcting it, but the new batch of hinges won't be available until April. Mac's Antique Auto Parts also carries the hinges (for almost twice the price), but they are out of stock and should be available the first week in February. This makes me think they are two different manufacturers. I need to get the hinges ASAP because we are moving across country in the spring and I need to get the car back together. I'm glad to hear that the job isn't a total nightmare to get done. I've had good luck with Mac's in the past and will probably pay the extra money to get the job done.

Oldad    -- 01-16-2014 @ 7:50 PM
  Rono, you didn't say why you need to replace the entire hinges or whether the problem is worn pins.
As Super said replacing the hinges is no easy job. This is particularly true when you are working against the clock to make your move and the parts are on backorder.

Rono    -- 01-17-2014 @ 5:28 PM
  Oldad;
It's kind of a long story, but I'll abbreviate. The car was in worse shape than I thought when I bought it, but I thought that with help I could save it. Where I live, there is only 1 restoration shop within 75 miles of my house. On the surface the shop looked good, but the owner was a butcher. To get the driver's side door better aligned, He took a torch to the top hinge, got it cherry red and wacked it a few times with a heavy hammer, He probably bent it too far and had to put front end alignment shims in the bottom hinge pocket. Naturally the bottom hinge won't sit fluch in the pocket with the shims there. I can't live with that and shortly thereafter, took the car back and am trying to get it together. This is why I think I need new hinges.

supereal    -- 01-17-2014 @ 7:12 PM
  That is a sad, but not unusual story. If the hinges were heated to that degree, and hammered, it is likely the mounts in the body were damaged to the point replacements will not fit without some skilled restoration. I know that I seem like a wet blanket, but with decades of experience, i hope I can give some perspective. It is highly unlikely that Drake will have redesigned hinges available before you move. It may be a better choice to pack up the car and trsiler it to your new destination, where skilled assistance may be found. Otherwise the car may face the fate of so many projects.

Rono    -- 01-18-2014 @ 4:38 AM
  Super;
I agree with your assessment. I may buy the new hinges, but hold off on installing them. Since our destination is California, I'm pretty sure I can find a shop that can do the work correctly. At this point, I think I can get the doors hung with the existing hinges and at least get the car closed up with the extra parts inside. Since there is no glass in the car and its a long trip, I will try to get the car shrink wrapped while on my car hauler at the local boat retailer. I'll try to post a picture before I leave.

supereal    -- 01-18-2014 @ 7:28 AM
  Wise choice, Rono. Let is know how this adventure works out.

supereal    -- 01-18-2014 @ 7:28 AM
  Wise choice, Rono. Let is know how this adventure works out.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6910