Topic: hot water heater

cliftford    -- 01-09-2014 @ 6:38 AM
  What is the correct way to route the hoses on an original ford heater on a ' 48 ford? Does the hose form the head go to the right hand connection, or the left? Does it make any difference?

joe b    -- 01-09-2014 @ 12:01 PM
  Cliff, It does make a difference where the hoses go according to the Ford instructions. My '41 heater is set up this way: On the driver side head is where the water hose is hooked up. The other hose is hooked up to the lower radiator hose on the passenger side. The heater inlets on my firewall are located on either side of the fuel pump. The driver side hose is attached
to the inlet on the driver side and the hose from the lower radiator outlet is attached to the passenger side. This is very close to the solenoid.
Here is what the Ford instructions say:"Remove pipe plug from right hand head. Apply cement to Shut Off Cock and screw it into this tapped hole. Install hose to BOTTOM heater pipe. For the Left side it says: Install heater from radiator hose nipple to UPPER heater tube.
Ford instructions call driver side "right" and Passenger side "left."
I have some instructions for a heater that has the heater pipes one above the other. In this case the water hose from the head goes to the upper inlet.
The water goes in from the head and out to the radiator
I guess it depends on how the aftermarket heater is set up.
Hope this helps

Drbrown    -- 01-09-2014 @ 3:02 PM
  joe b .... the heater hoses on my '47 V8 are similar to your description but I have two temperature sensors (using two dash gauges)on my drivers' side head so who-ever installed both hoses are on the passenger side of the engine.

Someone before me added a convienience. In addition to the manual on-off valve on the passenger side head, the heater hose between the lower radiator and the heater core has a rotating volume control valve, operated by a choke cable from the dash board, which can turn the flow on or off and adjust the flow rate thru the heater core to better control the heat output. On icy mornings here in the northeast (sometimes minus 10 or 20 lately) I found that closing that control valve allowed the engine to heat-up a little faster. I suppose it will also help keep hot cooling system water out of the passenger compartment during summer.

I don't know if anyone still makes those flow-control valve devices.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 1-9-14 @ 3:08 PM

Drbrown    -- 01-09-2014 @ 3:25 PM
  Re heater control valve mentioned above, found photo. The rotory flow control valve in the heater hose btw bottom of radiator and heater core appears at bottom-center in photo .... can see choke control cable attached to it.

Opps - photo to follow.

This message was edited by Drbrown on 1-9-14 @ 3:29 PM

Drbrown    -- 01-09-2014 @ 3:30 PM
  Here's photo

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6903