Topic: 1939 Ford Deluxe 4 door convertible

lbrhll    -- 01-08-2014 @ 9:32 PM
  I am assisting my Grandmother sell her 1939 Ford Deluxe 4 door convertible. I am having trouble finding pricing on these. I realize the 4 door convertible is rare. Can anyone give me a heads up on ways to find its value?

supereal    -- 01-08-2014 @ 9:40 PM
  If you are seeking a "ballpark" opinion, post some recent photos of the car.

lbrhll    -- 01-08-2014 @ 9:41 PM
  I will post these tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

lbrhll    -- 01-08-2014 @ 9:49 PM
  photo

kubes40    -- 01-09-2014 @ 7:25 AM
  You may want to search the Internet for auctions that have sold these.
You will, I am afraid, be disappointed with what you will find.
While these cars are both beautiful and rare, the demand is low. Thus, the realized sale prices are not what many would think.
In the past few years a number of these have crossed major auction blocks and not one has exceeded $65k. That particular car was in perfect, #1 condition. In other words, more of a work of art than a "nicely restored" vehicle.
It is very difficult to determine much of anything from your posted photo other than the car appears to be simply a nice old car.
In my opinion a great place to sell a car like your grand mothers is Hemmings (on line) or eBay. The market will (obviously) determine the value.

TomO    -- 01-09-2014 @ 9:13 AM
  NADA shows a value between 32,700-52,400.

Tom

trjford8    -- 01-09-2014 @ 8:20 PM
  Sometime back there were some on e-Bay and as I recall most were bid under $30,000. Use some of the guides like the Old Cars Price Guide and price your car according to condition. If it's too high you can always come down, but you can't go up. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Listing on e-Bay may be your best bet as millions of people look at the site and you would get the most bidders. Set a reasonable reserve based on one of the price guides and see what happens. If it does not make reserve you can always go back to the highest bidder and give them a second chance offer. It might pay you to go to a professional listing agent who takes photos and puts up the listing for you. The presentation on e-Bay can be very important to get maximum $.
Keep in mind that most listing agents will try to list the car as accurately as they can as they want to maintain a high "feedback number". They do not want to jeopardize their feedback in order to make a sale. They will list the good , the bad, and the ugly so the buyer is fully aware of what he/she is getting if their bid is successful.
Detail and clean up the car as good as you can or have a detail shop clean it for you. Nobody will look at a car that is dirty or appears to have poor maintenance. A nice clean car shows that the owner cared about it. If grandpa showed the car and received any awards that should be mentioned and adds to the desirability of the car.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 1-9-14 @ 8:32 PM

supereal    -- 01-10-2014 @ 9:08 PM
  Be very cautious when broadly advertising your car. Too often, the "fast buck" boys pounce. Don't reveal the location of the car to anyone who hasn't identified themselves. Anyone who wants to deal without actually inspecting the car is a red flag. Over the years, I've seen too many of these flim flams.

wmsteed    -- 01-11-2014 @ 8:43 PM
  Judging from the pix you posted, it would appear to me that the car is in poor condition.. If you were to list what your general location is, I am quite sure that there would be several EFV-8 club members in your area that could review the car and give you an honest appraisal/evaluation as to the actual condition of the car is, and the street value of same..
In all probability, your grandmother is going to be very disappointed with what the car is worth.
I would suggest, that you tell everyone that puts a value on the car, that their value should reflect the amount they would be willing to pay for the car, not pie in the sky prices that they saw on some big TV car auction..

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6901