Topic: Overdrive for 34 in front of differential

MikeRhodes    -- 01-08-2014 @ 12:46 PM
  I'd like to get the Borg-Warner overdrive operational on my 34 Roadster. I start this topic after adding a few comments last week in the forum thread "47 Merc 3.78 gear." I am grateful for earlier comments from 'Supereal'.

I have a few pictures below showing what I believe to be a somewhat unusual set-up. Notice in the pictures that the overdrive unit is attached cantilevered onto the front of the differential. The car is a Timmis Ford with a Ford truck 3-speed. It runs wonderfully but the overdrive does not function. When I push the overdrive cable in - it free-wheels the engine when coasting and you lose reverse, which is as expected but.. the overdrive, as I said, does not work. When the cable is pulled out - the car/transmission behaves in a standard manner - I have no complaints in this regard.

Any experience out there with a Timmis Ford Roadster with such an overdrive? Or frankly helpful info for any Bord-Warner overdrive set up in a similar manner.

Thanks everyone, MikeR

MikeRhodes    -- 01-08-2014 @ 12:48 PM
  Another picture -- MikeR

MikeRhodes    -- 01-08-2014 @ 12:51 PM
  Here's the car jacked-up (when I took the shot of the overdrive unit). MikeR

Drbrown    -- 01-08-2014 @ 7:36 PM
  I have a Borg-Warner R10B-1G unit attached directly in front of my '47 ford coupe differential .... it works fine when engaged and below about 28 mph operates as you describe. It has ID markings on both sides. B-G units were commonly used and Ford Company units are very similar. In general most OD units are not complex devices. Problems are typically limited to the seloniod, governer and/or relay. See attached B-W Trouble-Shooting Manual that may point you to your problem. As noted, if the seloniod is acting-up, don't rush out and buy one without trying to repair it. Tell me if I attach the wrong manual. If you wish, I can forward Operating, Rebuilding and Wiring manuals. These materials are available on the internet and via forums. Dan

This message was edited by Drbrown on 1-8-14 @ 7:51 PM

Drbrown    -- 01-08-2014 @ 8:12 PM
  Attached B-W Operating Manual may also help. Dan

MikeRhodes    -- 01-09-2014 @ 12:13 PM
  Dan, Many thanks, I am in Europe now for several weeks so will not be able to get under the car again until mid-February.

My guess is that it is something straightforward. I am very grateful to you for the references that you provided. I will look them over in the meantime. Once I fix it, I'll update this thread with what I determined (with your help).

MikeR

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6899