Topic: Hydrostatic Fuel Head/Dash unit

MikeRhodes    -- 01-04-2014 @ 12:16 AM
  I purchased a rebuild kit for my hydrostatic fuel gauge dash/head unit. I simply could not un-block my old unit where the copper tubing (which is mated to the glass indicator tube) entered the copper hexagon attachment fixture. The hexagon attachment fixture contains the calibration stick and provides the connector for the air line coming from the tank sending unit.
The replacement copper tubing (mated to the glass indicator vial) needs to be attached to the hexagon fixture.
Can this be soldered? I'm certain I can carefully drill out the old copper tubing which is attached to the hexagon fixture. I just wonder if soldering this connection is enough. It may need to be brazed, but I don't know where or how to do that. Any suggestions, insights out there?
These head units are essentially impossible to find. (34 Roadster)

40 Coupe    -- 01-04-2014 @ 4:53 AM
  Yes you can solder the tube to the hex tank. I suggest you use a low temperature silver solder with internal flux, Your local hardware store has it the Mfg. is Forney. The melting point is about 400 degrees. clean all the corrosion off both the tube and the tank, get the inside of the tank as clean as possible. Liquid toilet bowl cleaner works well. Can heat the joint with a propane torch, do not overheat.

MikeRhodes    -- 01-04-2014 @ 2:23 PM
  40Coupe - Thanks! That's all I need. It'll be nice to get this gauge working.
MikeR

drkbp    -- 01-05-2014 @ 10:33 AM
  Mike,
The glass vial/gage itself comes up rather frequently on ebay. I bought a NOS one last year for a nominal amount, less than $30. They fit '32 to '35 and just slide into your dash unit. The red liquid is caustic and will attack the metal mount on some of the ones I have so you don't want it to leak.

The gasoline tank unit comes up pretty seldom and is the hardest part to find. Can be bought new but somewhat pricey.

Ken in Texas

MikeRhodes    -- 01-30-2014 @ 10:05 AM
  Ken in Texas,
Thanks. I just checked and bid on a used one (looks pretty beaten-up) for $6. I think it good to grab one as a back-up. I soldered my original gauge but had to travel quick before I could test my work (still away from my garage-mancave).
MikeR

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6889