Topic: 6 volt coil modification vs original coil on top o

murphy1936    -- 01-01-2014 @ 4:25 PM
  What is the biggest advantage of switching to the 6 volt adapter kit? I assume it sends 6 volts to distributor for easier starting ,if so do we have to change the condensers as the are rated less than 6 volts?

This message was edited by murphy1936 on 1-1-14 @ 7:55 PM

ford38v8    -- 01-01-2014 @ 8:37 PM
  Murphy, if you are talking about the ballast resistor bypass for starting, the advanrtage is in being able to deliver enough juice to the coil, as the starter motor otherwise sucks so much the coil is starved out. To demonstrate this issue, just recall in your experience a car refusing to start until the moment you release the starter button. At that instant, the coil finally gets the voltage it requires to start the engine.

No other modification is required, and your condenser remains the same. Now, if this bypass were made to continue after releasing the starter, then you would have too much voltage for continuous operation, which would damage your coil and your points.

Alan

juergen    -- 01-02-2014 @ 6:49 AM
  Murphy, I have a different assumption to your question.
Is the adapter you are referring the replacement circuitry for replacing the coil mounted on the distributor to a remote 6 volt coil? If so one advantage is that you can more easily buy and replace a remote mounted coil (and choose between an internal resistance or external resistance type). Another is it allows you to test the intensity of the spark out of the coil and then compare it to the intensity out of the distributor (to the plugs) to see if a high intensity voltage loss is taking place within the distributor.
If Alan and I are wrong in our assumptions, please clarify the question in greater detail as many are here to help you.

murphy1936    -- 01-02-2014 @ 4:06 PM
  sorry about confusion, I was as you say referring to the kits sold by Max to use a remote 6v coil Doing away with coil on top of distributor.. Besides checking for spark, any other advantage like easier starting ? The resister idea is ok if a diode is used as was previously mentioned on forum. Someone mentioned that the coil on top of distributor accepts only 4volts so switching to 6 volt coil wouldn't bur out the points ? .? Maybe best to leave as Henry designed. With good clean grounds she will start. Still waiting for my friend to fix my distributor. Can't wait to start her up.

Super Deluxe 41

rotorwrench    -- 01-02-2014 @ 4:57 PM
  An advantage might be easier testing and no need for a ballast resistor for the can type coil. A disadvantage might be keeping moisture from entering the distributor if the adapter leaks.

The old OEM coils can be rebuilt. The can type can be trash canned and easily replaced.

ford38v8    -- 01-02-2014 @ 7:58 PM
  Murphy, I'm not sure this would be an advantage, but the conversion plate does provide cause to giggle at a car show. My opinion.

Alan

supereal    -- 01-03-2014 @ 4:19 AM
  The purpose of the ignition, or ballast, resistor is often misunderstood. It is a kind of voltage regulator that protects the points as the charging system raises the voltage due to higher engine speed. That is why the round coils have a built in resistor, too.. The nominal 3.5 volts at the coil allows it to function even when the system voltage drops, such as when the starter is operating. Proper sizing of the condenser is important, as it not only protects the points, but forms part of a tuned circuit with the coil to permit rapid cycling. The original design of the Ford ignition system. Is extremely efficient, and tinkering almost always degrades performance.

TomO    -- 01-03-2014 @ 10:22 AM
  Murphy,

IMHO the remote coil adapter looks ugly. The can coil that accepts 6 volts without an external ballast resistor has one built in so the point do not burn.

If you are really anxious to get your vehicle started, send the distributor and coil to Skip Haney in Florida. He will check out your distributor and replace any parts that do not work correctly and rebuild your coil so that you will get a very hot spark to start your engine. You will not need the diode or any other band aid to get your car started. His turnaround time is usually less than a week. Here is a link to his web site.

http://www.fordcollector.com/coils.htm

Tom

murphy1936    -- 01-03-2014 @ 9:15 PM
  Decision made, sending out coil to be checked/repaired. Thanks all of you for the feedback

Super Deluxe 41

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=6878